Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: amoeneburg | st.martin | wheel | initial |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The banner is off centred quartered of white and red. The coat of arms is upon the common point of all quarters.
Gießen District , state Hesse
banner approved 18 July 1979
details based on the presentations of Klaus Günther with kind permission
The municipality flags are shown mostly in banner form in Hesse.
Jörg Majewski, 15 Sep 2006
Shield Azure with base Vert, thereon St. Martin mounted and the beggar, in dexter chief an initial Argent "A", in sinister chief a 6-spokes wheel Argent.
Amöneburg was founded by the Archishops of Mainz, who also granted city rights in the first quarter of the 13th century. The oldest known seal with prints since 1258 and displays a bishop between two mural walls. All later seals, except one, show the composition of St. Martin and the beggar. St. Martin was the patron saint of the archbishopric. The only exception is an 18th century seal, which displays St. George and the dragon. In the 19th century again the version with St. Martin was used as coat of arms and the colours were officially fixed. After the merger with the neighbouring villages Erfurtshausen, Mardorf, Roßdorf and Rüdigheim on 31 December 1971 the old arms were modified by adding the wheel of the Archbishopric of Mainz and the letter "A" as the city's initial.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.15
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 6 May 2017
back to Marburg-Biedenkopf Cities and Municipalities Page click here