Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: steinhagen | chevrons(3) | wheat(ear) | juniper | ravensberg county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2007
approved 16 Aug 1977
It is a red over white horizontal bicolour with the coat of arms shifted to the hoist.
The shield is divided per fess. In the base are three red chevrons on a silver(=white) field. The chief is divided per pale. On the right side is a golden (=yellow) ear of wheat in a blue field. On the left side is a blue branch of juniper in a golden (=yellow) field.
The Municipality was founded in 1973, when the municipalities of Steinhagen, Brockhagen and Amshausen merged. The coat of arms of the old municipality, which was granted on 1 March 1939, was kept. Its use was permitted on 16 August 1977.
Steinhagen belonged to the Counts of Ravensberg. Their coat of arms was a silver(=white) shield with three red chevrons. The grain and the juniper are the ingredients of a strong digestive named Steinhäger because of its origin from Steinhagen.
The colours red and white are not only those of the county of Ravensberg but also of the Prussian province Westfalen (engl. Westphalia), to which the municpality belonged since 1815.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Feb 2007
These informations and images are based on Veddeler 2003
The flag has been authorized on 16 August 1977, by the Regierungspräsident Detmold (district president). According to the city statute (Hauptsatzung) of 1999 the arms is shifted to the hoist.
Marcus E.V. Schmöger, 25 Feb 2007
back to Gütersloh cities and municipalities click here.