This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Weisweil Municipality (Germany)

Gemeinde Weisweil, Landkreis Emmendingen, Baden-Württemberg

Last modified: 2019-01-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: weisweil(lkr.emmendingen) | bend(red) | fish(crossed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Weisweil flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider and Tomislav Todorović, 13 Oct 2013 See also:

Weisweil Municipality

Weisweil Flag

Description of flag:
It is a yellow over red over yellow horizontcal tricolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: article about Weisweil in German Wikipedia
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Oct 2013

Weisweil Banner

[Weisweil banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider and Tomislav Todorović, 13 Oct 2013

It is a yellow-red-yellow vertical triband. The coat of arms is shifted to the top.
Source: photo gallery of the voluntary firefighters of Emmendingen-Wasser, showing a contest in Weisweil.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Oct 2013

Weisweil Coat of Arms

The shield is divided per pale into gold (= yellow) and blue. The dexter half is divided by a red bend. The sinister side displays two silver (= white) fish, crossed per saltire.
Castle and village of Weisweil belonged to the Margraves of Baden-Hachberg since 1352, who had been vassals of the Bishops of Straßburg. Due to unsettled legal relationships the could just keep half of their fiefdom. In 1436 their successors, the Margraves of Baden-Baden, gained the total control over the village. The existence of the current pattern was first proven on a print of a court seal from 1543. The bend is symbolizing the Margraves of Baden, while the fish are symbolizing the location of Weisweil on the bank of the Rhine river. The seal had the typical pattern of all villages of the margraves in the Breisgau (a shire), displaying the bend of Baden together with a distinguishing mark of the location.
Source: Landeskundliches Informationssystem Baden-Württemberg

The colours of the coat of arms were fixed in 1913.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 13 Oct 2013

back to Emmendingen cities and municipalities click here