This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Schneeberg City (Germany)

Stadt Schneeberg, Erzgebirgskreis, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-09-10 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: schneeberg | st.john the baptist | miner(supporter) | escutcheons(2) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Schneeberg city banner] 5:2 image by Jörg Majewski, 8 Sep 2022
See also:

Schneeberg City

Schneeberg Banner

It is a yellow-black vertical bicolour with centred greater arms.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2022

Schneeberg Greater Coat of Arms

Shield Sable, a saint in half lenght portrait mimbed Or, dressed Argent, holding a lamb couchant Argent on a book Gules in his arms; shield crested by a helm Argent crested by a pair of wings quartered of Sable and Or and flanked by scarves Sable and Or, supported by two miners in full dress holding oval escutcheons; the dexter one parted per pale, at dexter parted per fess of Sable and Argent superimposed by swords Gules in saltire; at sinister barry of ten of Or and Sable superimposed by a crancelin Vert; the sinister one Argent hammer and mallet Sable hafted Maron in saltire, issuant from base a triplemount Vert with a central peak Argent.
The area belonged to the Lordship of Wiesenburg. On the slopes of the name giving Schneeberg (=snowy mountain) ore was depleted since 1446. In 1471 huge founds of silver ore had been discovered and silver mining made the settlement rich. The city never had been walled. On 11 November 1485 the treaty of Leipzig was signed. The treaty perpetuated the division of the dominions of the Wettin kin into a Saxon and a Thuringian part, which in the long run obstructed the further development of a Central German hegemonic power in favour of Brandenburg-Preußen. As a result of the treaty Schneeberg became a condominion of both branches, the Albertine and the Ernestine line. The city developed and became on of the three most important mining cities of Sachsen with more than 230 pits. Between 1470 and 1500 the local gains had been 6,000,000 Saxonian Florins. The gains come up to nowadays around 1,200,000,000€. In Sayn-Altenkirchen 1 Florin had been the salary of a foreman for two days, of a day labourer for three days. A day had 13.5 working hours. Silver mining declined since the middle of the 16th century and was replaced by mining of bismuth and cobalt, also of tin in the neighbouring Neustädtel, which was incorporated in 1939. Mining was followed by textiles industries and the production of cobalt cerulean blue. The city uses according to source exclusively the greater arms. The shield displays St. John the Baptist, recognisable by his attributes lamb and book. He is patron saint of the city. The supporters and hammer and mallet are stressing the importance of mining. The dexter shield displays the arms of the Electorate of Sachsen, the sinister shield the 1st city arms of Schneeberg. The mountain with snow capped white central peak is a canting element.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.410-411
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2022

The arms were granted on 24 August 1665 by Elector Johann Georg II of Sachsen. The banner in Wettin colours is probably used without approval.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Sep 2022

back to Erzgebirge cities and municipalities click here