This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Pockau-Lengefeld City (Germany)

Stadt Pockau-Lengefeld, Erzgebirgskreis, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-09-08 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: pockau-lengefeld | pales(3) | hammer and mallet |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Pockau-Lengefeld city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Sep 2022
See also:

Pockau-Lengefeld City

Pockau-Lengefeld Banner

It is a black-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Sep 2022

Pockau-Lengefeld Coat of Arms

Shield Or three pales Sable, over all hammer and mallet Argent.
On 1 January 2014 Pockau Municipality merged with Lengefeld City. The new entity gained the city status of Lengefeld.
Pockau had been a little village. The name giving river was first mentioned in 1292, the village in 1365. A glass kiln existed in the 15th century. Afterwards rafting and the production of charcoal became the main busines lines. At the end of the 19th century Hermann Lorenz founded the Community in Jesus Christ, also known as Lorenzians. The millenianist movement became an official denomination on 13 June 1922 and was loosely connected with the Saxonian Protestant Church but cut this connection in 1999, when the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification was published by Protestants and Catholics. The reason was that the movement considered the Pope as a servant of Satan.
Sources: German WIKIPEDIA and German WIKIPEDIA
Lengefeld was first mentioned in 1360 but probably was established shortly after 1200 by forest clearance. It belonged to the Lordship of Rauenstein and was mentioned as a city in 1398, since 1764 as "city and village", which remained however a unit. Both merged in 1835 and were acquired by the Electorate of Sachsen in 1749. The main business line had been mining of silver, iron and limestone, afterwards textiles industry, especially linen weaving. Lengefeld lost its mining rights in 1813. The last pit was closed in 1851. Limestone was processed until 2016.
The oldest city arms from 1648 only displayed the pales, a differentiation of the arms of the Margraves of Landsberg. Hammer and mallet as symbols of mining were added in 1898.
Sources: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.256-257 and German WIKIPEDIA
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Sep 2022

The arms were confirmed in 1898 for Lengefeld by the Dresden State Archive. Pockau-Lengefeld adopted the symbols of Lengefeld.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 3 Sep 2022

back to Erzgebirge cities and municipalities click here