This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Eibenstock City (Germany)

Stadt Eibenstock, Erzgebirgskreis, Sachsen

Last modified: 2022-09-10 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: eibenstock | fork | trefoil | mattock |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Eibenstock city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Sep 2022
See also:

Eibenstock City

Eibenstock Banner

It is a black-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Sep 2022

Eibenstock Coat of Arms

Shield Argent a fork Sable in pale, flanked at dexter by a trefoil Vert and at sinister by a mattock Sable.
The village existed already before 1200 and had been a facility of tin mining since 1300, also of ore mining since the end of the 14th century. The village was first mentioned by its name in 1378. It was called a market town in 1532 and a city in 1555. It became seat of a mining authority in 1500 and the rights of a market town were officially granted in 1639. In the 16th century the production of medicines, especially essential oils became an additional business line. The arms variied in minor details and the basic tinctures a few times. Eibenstock had originally belonged to the Lordship of Schwarzenberg and was later a part of the Electorate of Sachsen. Black and yellow are the tinctures of the elctors and their predecessors, the Margraves of Meißen. The arms are based on the oldest town seal from 1542. Fork and mattock are tools used for the refinement of tin. The trefoil is representing medical herbs.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, p.106
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Sep 2022

back to Erzgebirge cities and municipalities click here