Last modified: 2017-11-11 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: dueren county | stripes(8) | per fess | lion(black) | paper(sheet) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Description of flag:
It is an 8-stripes flag, divided by alternating yellow and blue horizontal stripes. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: §2(3) of Hauptsatzung of Düren County, version 11 November 2009
Description of coat of arms:
The shield is divided per fess. Above is a half, black, rampant lion tongued red in a golden (= yellow) field. Below in a blue shield is a silver( =white) sheet of paper superimposed by a black capital "D".
According to source the lion is taken from the arms of the dukes of Jülich. They gained control over the nowadays county district's territory between 1177 and 1423. In 1246 the free imperial city of Düren was mortgaged to the dukes of Jülich. The "D" is symbolizing Düren, the sheet of paper turns out, that in the 16th century the region of Düren was famous for its paper manufacturing all over the world.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.28
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 2 Aug 2011
The coat of arms was approved by Prussian ministry of state on 19 June 1942.
back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here