This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Schongau County until 1972 (Oberbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Schongau

Last modified: 2013-12-09 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis schongau | schongau county | coat of arms (tower: white) | coat of arms (fess: wavy) | coat of arms (fess: white) | coat of arms: chief (lion: passant guardant) | coat of arms: chief (lion: black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Schongau County until 1972 (Oberbayern District, Bavaria, Germany)] 5:2
by Stefan Schwoon
Coat of arms adopted 6th November 1953, flag adopted 9th September 1955, abolished 30th June 1972

See also:


Black-yellow with the arms in the 'head', adopted 09.09.1955. The county became part of Weilheim-Schongau county. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 11 July 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on November 6, 1953. The lion in the chief is taken from the arms of the Hohenstaufen dynasty, Dukes of Swabia and rulers of the area until 1269. The lower part shows the canting castle from the arms of the Steingaden Abbey (from Gaden auf den Steinen, tower on the stones). The Abbey was one of the largest and most important monasteries in the area. The wavy bar is the Lech river.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 13 June 2003