Last modified: 2013-04-20 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: baden-baden | bend(red) | mural crown |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Yellow-red-yellow. The arms with a mural crown are placed near the hoist and on the divide between the two uppermost stripes. Sources: Staack 1997 and the Flag Data Bank website.
Stefan Schwoon, 3 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The village became around 1100 a possession of Hermann II of the Zähringen family, who named himself after the town, Count of Baden. During the 13th century the town received city rights and became the capital of the County of Baden, since 1535 of the branch Baden-Baden. It remained the capital until the early 18th century.
The city has always used the arms of the Counts of Baden as its arms. The oldest known seal dates from the 14th century, but is known only since 1421. The arms thus have never changed since. To distinguish the arms of the city from those of the Duchy and State of Baden, the city often used a mural crown, but this was never officially approved.
Source: Stadler 1971,p.21 and H. John, H. Köckert and G. Wüst, Die Kreis- und Gemeindewappen im Regierungsbezirk Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, 1990.
back to Baden-Württemberg counties and municipalities click here