This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Štramberk (Czech Republic)
Nový Jičín okres, Moravian-Silesian region
Last modified: 2017-11-11 by andrew weeks
Keywords: stramberk |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 15 Nov 2004
adopted 26 Nov 1999
Štramberk municipality flag
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapory obcí ČR (1999)
- Štramberk, Nový Jičín district, Moravosilesian region - adopted 26 Nov
"Štramberk was founded by the Moravian margrave Jan Jindřich Lucemburský
(1322-1375), son of the Czech King Jan Lucemburský (1296-1346), younger
brother of the Roman emperor and Czech king Karel IV (1316-1378), on December
4, 1359 by giving the settlement (first recorded in 1211) surrounding the
castle the statute of a town. The left side of the coat of arms of the
town is that of an ancient Czech family, the Benešovice (founded in the
11th century) -a curled silver arrow in a red field, the right side the
coat of arms of Moravia - a silver and red chequered eagle in a blue shield.
Another famous feature of the town are the so called „Štramberské uši"
(Štramberk's ears), a certain type of ginger snack, shaped like ears. In
memory of a legendary victory by the Christians of Štramberk over the Mongolian
army on May 8, 1241, the day of the Ascension of Christ."
Source: this website.
Jarig Bakker, 15 Nov 2004
Štramberk Coat of Arms
by Jarig Bakker, 15 Nov 2004, after image on this