This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Montes de Oca (San Jose, Costa Rica)

Canton de Montes de Oca

Last modified: 2014-05-17 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: san jose | montes de oca | oca |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:


Flag of canton of Montes de Oca, San Jose, is at photobucket.
Alberto Alexander Thomas Brown, 1 July 2009

The flag presented there does not match the information given on the cantonal website.

Montes de Oca Canton (50,433 inhabitants; 1,516 ha) is made of the four districts of San Pedro (26,524 inh., 482 ha), Sabanilia (11,324 inh., 179 ha), Mercedes (4,872 inh., 139 ha) and San Rafael (7,713 inh., 716 ha). San Pedro was known around 1700 as Santiago de la Granadilla, subsequently renamed San Pedro del Mojón for the geographical landmark ("mojón") that marks the limit between San Pedro and San José. Montes de Oca Canton was established by Law No. 45 of 2 August 1915, with San Pedro, granted the title of "ciudad" by the same Law, as its capital. The canton is named for Faustino Montes de Oca (1860-1902).
Source: Cantonal website
The flag of Montes de Oca was adopted on 27 July 1995. Celeste blue: The colour of our main educational institution (Universidad de Costa Rica). White: Peace in our country.Coat of arms: As described below.
Dimensions; The same as the national flag. The angle of the triangle reaches the center of the total dimensions. The drawing shown above the description shows the flag without the Coat of Arms. Therefore, it is not possible to decide where the Coat of Arms should be placed - provided it should be there.
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2013

Coat of Arms

image contributed by Fred Drews, 30 March 2006

The coat of arms of Montes de Oca was designed in 1975 by Francisco Molina Di Palma, who served as Municipal Secretary for 10 years. The upper left quarter shows the "mojón", recalling the name of the place before the establishment of the canton., surmounted by four stars representing the fours districts. The upper right quarter shows the Roman Catholic church, representing faith.
The lower quarter show the building of the Faculty of Science and Letters, representing education and culture. The shield is supported by two branches of coffee, one commonly grown in the area. The shield is surmounted by a crown recalling the historical relation with Spain.
Source: Cantonal website
Ivan Sache, 20 July 2013