Last modified: 2014-05-16 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: boyaca | paz de rio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dov Gutterman, 21 September 2008
Paz de Río is a municipality (since 20 July 1935) in the
Colombian Department of Boyacá, part of the the subregion of the
The flag of Paz de Río is horizontally divided yellow-white-red.
Source: municipal web site
Dov Gutterman, 21 September 2008
Translated from municipal
"The colours are yellow, white and red, arranged in horizontal stripes of equal dimensions, yellow meaning richness, white symbolizing peace and red representing the ore deposits located on the municipal territory."
The original village of La Paz was suppressed on 23 November 1933 by a big landslide. Rebuilt in a safer place, the village was renamed La Paz de Río by Decree No. 6 of the Departmental Assembly of Boyacá on 31 March 1936. The new name celebrates the peace treaty signed between Colombia and Peru in Rio de Janeiro on 24 May 1934.
As proposed by Dr. Marco Antonio Mejía Gómez, Representative of the Province of Valderrama, the Departmental Assembly of Boyacá approved on 28 June 1938 Decree No. 018 the exploitation of the iron mines in the surroundings of the recently refounded village. Following technical tests, the Colombian government created by Law No. 45 in December 1947 the "Empresa Siderúrgica Nacional de Paz de Río", superseded on 17 September 1948 by the "Sociedad Anónima SemiOficial Empresa Siderúrgica Nacional de Paz de Río". The inaguration on 11 May 1954 of an airborne cable system allowed the transportation of iron ore from the mine of La Chapa directly to the washing unit. Later on, open cute mines were exploited in La Mesa, El Uvo and Coloradales, using modern technilogy imported from Europe and North America. A railway was built to Belencito, where steel was manufactured. In 1954, the copany was renamed to its actual name, "Acerías Paz del Río S.A.". On 13 October 1954, the first 20 ingots, 900 kg each, were produced in the steelworks.
Ivan Sache, 2 October 2008
image from municipal web site