Last modified: 2022-04-09 by rob raeside
Keywords: upton | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Acton (2,092 inhabitants in 2016; 5,590 ha) is located 40
km south-west of Drummondville.
The municipality was established in 1998 as the merger of the parish municipality of Saint-Ephrem-d'Upton (est. in 1855) and of the village municipality of Upton (est. in 1878).
Upton was established in 1800 as a canton, whose settlement actually started in 1845, after the building of the railway connecting Longueuil to Richmond.
Around 1853, Anthony MacEvilla, coming from New York, built at the confluence of Duncan and Black Rivers a floor and fouling mill, subsequently completed b ya saw mill.
The Bark Extract Factory owned by the Miller family produced tan, one the main source of income for Upton and the region.
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2022
Flag is the coat of arms on white.
The first quarter features a thistle proper, recalling the Scottish origin of one of the founders of Upton, Anthony MacEvilla, who established one of the first industries in the region.
The second quarter features a golden wheat garb, as a tribute to the valorous pioneers, highlighting the municipality' agricultural orientation. The wheat garb was the original emblem of the County of Chester.
The third quarter features a white fleur-de-lis symbolizing the population's French origin and belonging to Quebec.
The fourth quarter represents tannery, as the symbol of Upton's different industries, and Black River that contributed to the development of industry, agriculture and tourism.
The maple branches located the municipality within Canada.
The French motto reads "United to Grow".
Ivan Sache, 4 March 2022
by Masao Okazaki, 19 March 2022
based on photo located by Masao Okazaki, 6 March 2022
There is another version of the flag that has colors similar to other images
of the seal in having green leaves. The shape of the shield is unclear.
Masao Okazaki, 6 March 2022
The logo is composed of tow elements, the typography in black and the graphic
symbol in blue.
In the upper part, "A" and "V", for the town' name, converge and invite the eye to move from one to the other. The graphic play represents the two provincial roads that meets in the downtown.
Featured in the logo's lover part, the two wave y blue lines form waves that represent the two rivers watering the territory, one in the rural area and the other in the urban area. Water has always been and will always be a precious resource for the natural environment. Blue, a symbol of calm and peace, emphasizes the quality of life offered by the town and its surroundings.
Ivan Sache, 3 March 2022
image located by Dave Fowler, 4 March 2022