Last modified: 2013-04-13 by rob raeside
Keywords: mcmasterville | quebec |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of McMasterville (4,476 inhabitants in 2006; 300 ha) is
located in La Vallée-du-Richelieu MRC, Region Montérégie.
McMasterville is named for William McMaster, the first President (1910-1924) of "Canadian Explosives Ltd." (founded in 1910 and renamed "Canadian Industries Ltd." in 1927). The village of McMasterville was founded in 1917; municipal status was granted on 11 February 1995.
http://www.toponymie.gouv.qc.ca/CT/toposweb/fiche.aspx?no_seq=293915 - "Commission de Toponymie of Québec" website
The original photo was contributed to Waymarking on 22 February 2013. The original caption is: "The flag of the city of McMasterville floats proudly beside flags of Quebec and the Canada in front of town hall of McMasterville."
The waves represent the river that separates the two banks of the Richelieu River. The mountain represents the majestic Mount Saint-Hilaire, emblematic of the region. The rising sun enlightens the municipality. The letters "McM" stands for "McMasterville".
http://www.mcmasterville.ca/explication_logo.php - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 18 March 2013