Last modified: 2021-02-27 by rob raeside
Keywords: quebec | baie-comeau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Baie-Comeau (21,536 inhabitants in 2016; 33,456 ha) is
located on the northern shore of the Saint-Lawrence, 360 km north-east of
The municipality of Baie-Comeau was incorporated on 20 May 1937, fulfilling a project initiated on 30 January 1923 by Colonel Robert Rutherford McCormick (1880-1955). Appointed in 1911 President of the Board of Directors of the "Chicago Tribune", McCormick convinced the shareholders to offer him 1 million $ to establish their own wood pulp factory.
On 30 January 1923, McCormick obtained for the Canadian government, for an annuity of 6,000 $, a lease on forests located east of Manicougan River. The contract also included the building of a wood pulp factory within seven years. The Great Depression and the renegotiation of the original contract delayed the completion of the project for another seven years.
The new town, named for the Comeau Bay post office established in 1929, was "inaugurated" by the Board of Directors of the "Chicago Tribune" in October 1938.
Baie-Comeau boomed in the 1950s, its population increasing from 4,255 in 1951 to 7,956 in 1961, as did the companion new town of Hauterive established in 1949.
Bois-Comeau and Hauterive were merged on 23 June 1982, in spite of the fierce opposition of the inhabitants of Baie-Comeau.
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2021
image by Masao Okazaki, 31 December 2020
Photos of this flag were posted in September 2020 by Luc Vartan Baronian in
the FOTW Facebook group:
The blue flag with yellow sea star flies in different places in town, while the white flag with coat of arms flies in front of city hall.
Masao Okazaki, 31 December 2020
The symbol of Baie-Comeau represents a starfish, a distinct figure easy to
memorize. It recalls that Baie-Comeau is a maritime town. The design of the
symbol is based on the arms of the two former towns that were merged in 1982.
The star featured in the chief of the arms of Bois-Comeau highlights the town's
high destiny. Wavy lines representing river Manicougan are featured in the arms
of both Bois-Comeau and Hauterive.
The graphic design evokes Baie-Comeau's dynamism, move, energy and vitality. Blue refers to the sea and north. Water is a significant component for the past, present and future development of the town. The starfish is sometimes used in golden yellow on a blue background, namely for official identification. This color is a symbol of renewal and of the inhabitant's human touch.
Ivan Sache, 1 January 2021