Last modified: 2017-05-12 by rob raeside
Keywords: wilmot | ontario |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 18 April 2017
The municipality (rural township) of Wilmot (19,223 inhabitants in 2011;
26,372 ha) is located in south-western Ontario.
Wilmot Township was designated a Crown Reserve following the Canada Act of 1791 which created Upper and Lower Canada. Following a government survey in 1824, Mennonites from Waterloo Township and Amish from Europe claimed lots and began clearing roadways and farms. The Canada Land Company opened the Huron Road through the southern part of Wilmot Township in 1828. Soon after, Roman Catholics and Lutherans from Alsace and Germany, Anglicans from the British Isles and others joined the initial settlers in clearing land and building roads, mills, shops, churches, schools and villages. The names of Wilmot communities provide great insight into the pioneers who settled them. We can connect with where they were from, whom they were and, in at least one instance, the industries therein established: Baden, Haysviille, Holland Mills, Mannheim, Josephsburg, New Dundee, New Hamburg, New Prussia, Petersburg, Philipsburg, Pinehill, Punkeydoodle's Corners, Rosebank, St. Agatha, Shingletown, Waldau, and Wilmot Centre.
http://www.wilmot.ca/ - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 12 April 2017
The flag consists of the city crest on a Canadian pale.
The flag and arms of Wilmot were inscribed on 2 September 1994 on the Public
Register of Arms, Flags and Badges, Vol. II, p. 349. The announcement of the
Letters Patent was made on 3 December 1994, in Vol. 128, p. 4,584 of the Canada
Or two piles and one pile reversed gules each charged with an ear of wheat of nine grains or.
A mural coronet of five merlons azure masoned argent charged with a water wheel between two garbs or.
On two grassy hills intersected by a wavy pale azure fimbriated argent two lions or each gorged with a coronet erablé gules and holding in the interior forepaw a lightning flash argent.
BUILDING A SURE FOUNDATION
Azure on a Canadian pale argent an escutcheon of the arms.
Creator(s): Original concept of Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
Painter: Joan Bouwmeester
Calligrapher: Joan Bouwmeester
http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/project.asp?lang=e&ProjectID=1769 - Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges
[The image from the Register shows the flag with proportions 2:3 but the grant describes the flag as a "Canadian pale"; accordingly, the flag, if ever used, must be in 1:2 proportions]
Ivan Sache, 18 April 2017