This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Votuporanga, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | votuporanga |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Votuporanga, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 24 February 2013 
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A blue flag with a white disk bearing the municipal arms in the centre, surrounded by a yellow ring with eight yellow rays emanating from it.

Official website at
I have found a photo of the flag at which shows a different shade of blue.
Dirk Schönberger, 23 February 2013

The municipality of Votuporanga (84,692 inhabitants in 2010; 42,410 ha) is located in northwestern São Paulo State, 90 km of São José do Rio Preto and 520 km of São Paulo.

Votuporanga was established on 8 August 1937 by the "Theodor Wille & Cia. Ltda", represented by Carlos Helving and Guilherme Von Trumbach. In the 1930s, the company, of German origin and seated in Santos, decided to sell the Marinheiro de Cima domain, located in the region known as Sertão de São José do Rio Preto or Sertão Tanabiense. The domain previously belonged to the landlord Francisco Schmidt, known as the "King of Coffee". In 1936, the market price of coffee was so low that Schmidt had to sell the domain to pay his debts. Germano Robato, one of the first inhabitants of the new settlement, asked Sebastião Almeida Oliveira, a member of the São Paulo Institute of History and Geography to propose a name for the new town. Almeida proposed Votuporanga, formed on two Tupi-Guarani words meaning "suave breeze".

[The primary source is the municipal website]

The symbols of Votuporanga are prescribed by Municipal Law No.1,744 of 23 June 1979.

The flag was designed by Inês Maria Pinto, winner of a public contest prescribed in May 1978 by Decree No. 1,833. The first flag of Votuporanga was designed by João Gonçalves Leite, then Mayor of Votuporanga; the design process lasted from 8 August 1937 to 30 November 1944. - Municipal website

The coat of arms was designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar. The first coat of arms of Votuporanga was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 274 of 7 August 1957. The coat of arms was designed by Sebastião Almeida de Oliveira and painted by Itajahi Feitosa Martins. The newspapers "O Mosaico" and "Oeste Paulista" published the next day, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the foundation of the town, a 7- coloured xylographic representation of the coat of arms. - Municipal website

Other photos confirm that the flag in actual use has a darker shade of blue.
Ivan Sache, 24 February 2013