Last modified: 2013-02-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | vargem grande do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
23 February 2013
Based on: http://www.vgsul.sp.gov.br/wordpress/?page_id=7010
A blue flag with a saltire and an upright cross combined, all white, with the municipal arms in the centre in a white disk.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 20 February 2013
Vargem Grande do Sul originated in a chapel, erected in 1874 by Colonel Mariano Parreira on a hill surmounted by an old Calvary cross. Very modest in size (4.40 m x 6. 60 m), the chapel was dedicated to St. Ann. The parish of Sant’ Ana de Vargem Grande was established in February 1888; the proclamation of the Republic postponed the delimitation of the parish's territory, which was achieved only in 1917. The district of Sant’ Ana de Vargem Grande was established on 2 August 1888. At the time, the village counted some 350 inhabitants. The municipality of Vargem Grande do Sul was established in 1906.
The flag of Vargem Grande do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 800 of 12 January 1973. The flag is made of a blue rectangle (of the same blue shade as the national flag), in size 1.40 m x 2 m; dividing the flag's horizontal axis in 20 equal parts gives 1/20 of the flag's length as the "unit", here equal to 10 cm. In the middle of the rectangle is placed a white disk of 4.5 units in radius, outlined by a black border of 0.5 unit in width. The municipal coat of arms, of 7 units in height, is placed in the middle of the disk. Over the rectangle, eight white stripes of 1.5 unit in width reach the middle of the rectangle, interrupted when reaching the black outline. Two stripes are vertical, another two are horizontal and another yet four are diagonal.
http://www.vgsul.sp.gov.br/wordpress/?page_id=7010 - Municipal website
Photos of the flag:
On other photos, there is no black ring around the white disk:
The coat of arms of Vargem Grande do Sul is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 744, adopted in 1972. The coat of arms is "A Portuguese shield surmounted by a mural crown or. Per pale, 1. Gules a spindle or; 2. Or three fesses azure in chief three serrated mounds vert. The shield supported dexter by a plant of rice and sinister by a branch of coffee. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed with the motto 'ERGO. POSSVM' in letters sable."
The spindle represents St. Ann, the town's patron saint. The three blue stripes represent rivers Verde, Fartura and Jaguari, which water the municipality. The green mounds represent Serra de Fratura. Rice and coffee are among the main crops in the municipality. The Latin motto reads "Therefore, I can".
http://www.vgsul.sp.gov.br/wordpress/?page_id=7003 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 23 February 2013
image by Ivan Sache, 23 February 2013