This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tremembé, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-27 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | tremembé |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Tremembé, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 17 February 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A descending diagonal tricolour, dark blue over white over green, bearing the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 February 2013

The municipality of Tremembé (40,985 inhabitants in 2010; 19,242 ha) is located in northeastern São Paulo State, 10 km north of Taubaté and 140 km northeast of São Paulo. Tremembé was awarded the title of Tourist Resort by State Law No. 8,506 of 27 December 1993.

Tremembé was founded by Manoel da Costa Cabral, who erected a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception, subsequently re-dedicated to Jesus Christ. A statue of Jesus Christ was placed in the chapel in 1672. The tradition said that the statue was found in the house of a penitent after his death; another tradition says that the statue was offered by a retired Indians' hunter. The parish of Tremembé was established by Provincial Law No. 1 of 20 February 1866. The district of Tremembé was established by State Decree No. 132 of 3 March 1891. The municipality of Tremembé was established by Law No. 458 of 26 November 1896, seceding from Taubaté.

The flag of Tremembé is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,216 of 1 September 1983. The flag, designed by Laurindo de Paula, was selected by a "Special Commission" commissioned to establish the flag of Tremembé. The flag is diagonally (per bend) divided blue-white-green, with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

The flag symbolizes the municipality crossed by river Paraíba do Sul, represented by the white stripe. The upper, blue stripe represents the sky while the lower, green stripe represents the rural area of the municipality. Blue represents the sky and the mild climate. Green represents the fertile arable lands. White represents the sinuous river Paraíba do Sul,, linked to the local traditions.

The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The width of the white stripe in the corners is 4.2 units. The height of the stripe is 5.7 units. The coat of arms is placed in the center of the flag, inscribed in an area of 4 units in diameter. - "ARLS Luz do Oriente" website

Photos of the flag: (hoisted on Mount Sinai, June 2009)

The coat of arms of Tremembé is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,021 of 21 May 1979. "Rounded-off, Portuguese shield surmounted by a mural crown or, per fess, 1a. Vert a plow or, 1b. Argent an effigy of Jesus Christ proper, 2. Azure three mounds or a base vert a fess wavy argent. The shield supported dexter by plants of rice and sinister by a branch of coffee the two fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed "20-02-1866" / 'TREMEMBé / LABOR OMNIA VINCIT" / "26-11-1896", all sable."

The rounded-off shield, aka classical Flemish-iberian, was introduced in the Iberian Peninsula during the struggle against the Moors to become the Portuguese shield. It is a tribute to our ancestors and to the founder of the town, Captain Manoel de Costa Cabral. Vert is a symbol of honour, civility, courtesy and hope. The plow or is a symbol of the splendour of agriculture in the municipality. Argent is a symbol of peace and religious feeling. Jesus Christ is the town's patron saint; he is represented on the shield as its stands on the church's altar. Azure represents the limpid sky and the mild climate. The mounds represents Serra da Mantiqueira in its majesty and beauty, decorating the horizon of the municipality, forming a landscape that only God could have created. Vert represents the flooded lands near the river ("várzeas"), a fertile agricultural land crossed by the meanders of the serene Paraíba do Sul, represented by the fess wavy argent. The "várzeas" are the town's namesake, Tere Membé being the name given to the place by the Guianas, meaning "marshy lowlands crossed by the sinuous and serene river". Rice is the today's main source of income for the municipality, while coffee was the cause of its prosperity in the previous century. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The Latin motto reads 'Tremembé Triumphed Through Work". The dates are those of the establishment of the parish and of the municipality, respectively. - "ARLS Luz do Oriente" website

Ivan Sache, 18 February 2013

Flag after the official specification

Tremembé, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 18 February 2013

The official specification calls for a smaller arms. The actual flag shown on the photo (above) matches Dirk's image (at top of page).
Ivan Sache, 18 February 2013