This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Tambaú, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | tambaú |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Tambaú, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 14 February 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A horizontal tricolour, red-white-blue, ratio 2-3-2, bearing the municipal arms on the central stripe.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 13 February 2013

The municipality of Tambaú (22,410 inhabitants in 2010; 56,157 ha) is located 260 km of São Paulo. Tambaú was settled in 1726 by the pioneer Bartolomeu Bueno da Silva, aka "Moço", who was granted a piece of land on the bank of river Pardo, where he established a cattle farm. The town was established on 27 July 1886 by Captain David de Almeida Santos, close to a railway station built in 1872 by the Mogi Railway Co. The district of Tambaú was established on 25 August 1862. The municipality of Tambaú was established on 20 August 1898.

Originally living from the monoculture of sugarcane, and, subsequently, of coffee, Tambaú turned into an industrial town in the early 20th century. Supplied with local clay, the first ceramic factory was built in 1905; the tilery inaugurated in 1917 inaugurated the Tambaú Ceramic Pole. The town is known today as "Ceramic Town". - Website of the Municipal Council

[The original source is the website of the Municipal Council]

The symbols of Tambaú are prescribed by Article of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the flag (Decree Law No. 143 of 17 July 1972), the coat of arms (Law No. 341 of 10 November 1961), and the anthem (Law No. 338 of 20 September 1961)". - Municipal Constitution

The flag is horizontally divided red-white-blue (2:3:2) with an emblem (not the municipal coat of arms) in the middle.

Red is a symbol of heroism and courage, recalling the tenacity of the pioneers who settled in Tambaú, as well as the force and vigour of their followers, who still contribute today to the general progress of the town. Red also represents the soil (red-brown and dark red latosol), on which the town was built. White represents the aspiration of the people to live in "Labour and Religion". It is also the colour of the sandy soils of the fields and hills (red and yellow latosol, regosol). Blue is a symbol of dedication, fidelity and patriotic love.

The emblem is made of a silver torch with a dark red flame, surrounded in base dexter by a half cogwheel argent and sinister by a branch of coffee, and by a yellow Southern Cross. Red dark is a symbol of knowledge. Yellow is a symbol of nobleness, magnanimity, and integration of all Brazilians in a common country. - Website of the Municipal Council
Ivan Sache, 15 February 2013