This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Ribeirão Bonito, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-01-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | ribeirão bonito |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Ribeirão Bonito, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 16 January 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A horizontal tricolour, blue-red-green, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at 
Dirk Schönberger, 16 January 2013

The municipality of Ribeirão Bonito (12,129 inhabitants in 2010; 47,150 ha) is located 270 km of São Paulo. The municipality is made of the districts of Ribeirão Bonito and Guarapiranga.

Ribeirão Bonito was founded in 1862 by Antônio, Thomaz and Ignácio Alves Costa, who built a chapel dedicated to Jesus Christ. In the 1850s, when clearing a forest in Minas Gerais on a 6 August, Jesus Christ's Day, Antônio was injured by a falling tree but miraculously saved his life; he promised to build a chapel to remember the miracle, which he actually did years later after having migrated to Ribeirão Bonito. The district of Ribeirão Bonito was established by Provincial Law No. 16 of 8 March 1882. The municipality of Ribeirão Bonito was established by Decree No. 24 of 5 March 1890..

The flag of Ribeirão Bonito is horizontally divided blue-red-green with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

Photo of the flag

The coat of arms of Ribeirão Bonito, designed by Salvador Thaumaturgo, is prescribed by Law No. 202 of 6 April 1960. "A rounded-off shield argent a mount sable ensigned with a Latin cross azure on a base vert a fess wavy argent. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or [argent on the drawing]. The shield supported dexter by a sugarcane proper and sinister by a branch of coffee fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll or inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by years '1882' and '1890' all gules."

The shield argent represents the purity of the ideals of the people. The black hill represents the uneven topography of the municipality. The cross symbolizes the patron saint of the municipality; its blue colour symbolizes the sky and the mild climate of the town, and the religious faith of the people. Green represents the fertile fields of the municipality. The fess wavy represents Brook Bonito for which the town is named. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. Sugarcane and coffee are the two pillars of the rural economy of the municipality. The years "1882" and "1890" are the years of granting of the status of "vila" and of municipality, respectively.

The coat of arms used on the flag has the mural crown or (as prescribed), the hill and cross or and the fess way azure. - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2013