This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Presidente Epitácio, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-01-24 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | presidente epitácio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Presidente Epitácio, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 17 January 2013
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A blue flag with black saltire, bordered white, with the municipal arms on a white rectangle in the centre.

Official website at 
Dirk Schönberger, 10 January 2013

The municipality of Presidente Epitácio (41,324 inhabitants in 2010; 128,178 ha) is located in northwestern São Paulo State, on the border with Mato Grosso do Sul, 650 km of São Paulo.

Presidente Epitácio was founded on 1 January 1907, under the name of Porto Tibiriçá, by Captain Francisco Whitaker. Porto Tibiriçá was named for Jorge Tibiriçá (1855-1928), the 2nd Governor (1890-1891) and the 7th President of São Paulo State (1904-1908). The municipality was subsequently renamed for Epitácio Pessoa (1865-1942), the 11th President of Brazil (1919-1922).

The symbols of Presidente Epitácio are prescribed in Article 7 of the Municipal Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the flag and the anthem, representative of its culture and history."

The current flag and arms are prescribed by Law No. 2,095 of 23 August 2007, which amended Law No. 384 of 10 December 1969. The original symbols, designed by Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Faria, were only slightly amended, year "1936" replacing year "1936" on the scroll below the shield.

The flag is blue with a white-black-white saltire. In the middle of the flag is placed a white rectangle charged with the municipal coat of arms.

The flag is in dimensions 14 units x 20 units. The coat of arms in the middle of the flag symbolizes the municipal government. The white rectangle represents the town as the seat of the municipality. The stripes of the saltire symbolize the municipal power spreading all over the municipal territory. The quarters represent the rural estates located on the municipal territory.

Photos of the flag

The coat of arms is "Argent a river steamboat sable decorated or in chief an escutcheon azure charged with six crescents or with a bordure sable charged with seven six-pointed stars argent ensigned with a rope azure of two shades over it a comet argent and sable surrounded by two hunting horns sable. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent. The shield supported by two "perobeiras"* proper. Below the shield a scroll vert inscribed with the name of the municipality surrounded by years '1907' and '1949' all or."

The eight-towered mural crown represents a second-rank town, seat of a "comarca". Argent is a symbol of peace, work, friendship, prosperity and purity. The base of the shield represents river Paraná on which the town was built; the steamboat indicates that the river is navigable, which was of great significance for the national integration and an historical factor of development of the whole region. Azure is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty. Sable is a symbol of austerity, prudence, knowledge, moderation and science. Or is a symbol of glory, wealth, splendour, greatness and command. The escutcheon is the coat of arms of the Pessoa family, emphasising the great figure of President of the Republic Epitácio Pessoa, the town's namesake. The hunting horns represent cattle breeding, one of the main sources of income for the municipality. The "perobeiras"*symbolize timber extraction, very developed in the region. The years "1907" and "1949" recalls the foundation of the town and its municipal emancipation, respectively. Year "1936", used in the former version of the arms, was the year of establishment of the district of Presidente Epitácio Vert is a symbol of honour, courtesy, civility, joy and abundance. It is also a symbol of hope, referring to the greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.

*"perobeira" is used in Brazil to designate different timber trees, especially "peroba rosa" (Aspidoderma polyneuron Müll. Arg.)
Ivan Sache, 16 January 2013

1969-2007 flag

Presidente Epitácio, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 17 January 2013

1959-1969 flag

Presidente Epitácio, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 17 January 2013

The very first symbols of Presidente Epitácio were prescribed by Law No. 135 of 14 April 1959 and Law no. 145 of 18 August 1959 - I guess that the flag and arms were prescribed by separate laws. The flag is horizontally divided in ten stripes, in turn blue and white, with a square red canton charged with the municipal arms. The shield is "Argent a "perobeira" proper surrounded by tow bulls sable affronty issuant from a base vert a fess wavy argent ensigned by a steamboat or with smoke sable. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or parts sable. The shield surrounded by a scroll argent inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the years '1936' and '1948' all sable."
Ivan Sache, 16 January 2013