Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | parapuã |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
29 December 2012
Based on: http://www.camaraparapua.sp.gov.br/municipio/bandeira.htm
A diagonal triband per bend, green-white-green with in the centre a blue shape of São Paulo State with five rays emanating from a small red disk, at the location of the municipality.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 29 December 2012
Parapuã was founded in January 1914 by Luiz de Souza Leão on a plot of land located between rivers Feio and do Peixe, purchased from Joaquim Abarca. The new settlement was named Canaã, for the Biblical symbol of promised land. A first hotel was built in 1937, which boosted commerce and agriculture. The church was consecrated on 8 December 1941. The district of Canaã was established in July 1943, as part of the municipality of Tupã.
The municipality of Parapuã was established by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated in January 1945. According to Theodoro Sampaio, the municipality is name for Tupi-Guarani "pará- poan", meaning "the union of rivers" or "the high river", which was the local name of river Feio. In the 1970s, Parapuã was known as "Coffee Capital", with 12 millions coffee plants grown. In 1975, a harsh frost event suppressed most of the coffee plants, which were replaced by sugarcanes.
Parapuã is the birth town of the football player Ederson (b. 1986, as Ederson Honorato Campos). Ederson played in France with OGC Nice (2005-2008) and Olympique Lyonnais (2008-2012; winner of the French Cup in 2012). He played once with the Brazilian football team in 2010, but was injured after only a couple of minutes.
The flag of Parapuã is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 1,179 of 16 October 1979. The flag is green with a broad white bend charged with a stylized map of São Paulo State, on which the geographical location of the town is represented by a red dot. Green represents agriculture, while white represents peace and concord.
Bill No. 18 of 1 October 1979, explains that the flag is based on the
design proposed by the student Ovídio Dantas Alves in a public contest.
http://www.camaraparapua.sp.gov.br/municipio/bandeira.htm - Website of the Municipal Council
Ivan Sache, 18 January 2013