This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Orlândia, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | orlândia |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Orlândia, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 18 December 2012
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

Horizontally divided blue over red, with a central stylized white outline of the state bearing the municipal arms.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 18 December 2012

The municipality of Orlândia (39,781 inhabitants in 2010; 29,643 ha) is located 360 km of São Paulo.

Orlândia is named for Colonel Francisco Orlando Diniz Junqueira (1858-1940), a wealthy coffee farmer and cattle-breeder, credited with the development of the Mangalarga horse bred. Owner of the Bela Vista Estate, Colonel Orlando founded the settlement of Vila Orlando, close to the Coronel Orlando station, inaugurated in 1901 by the "Cia Mogiana de Estradas de Ferro". The municipality of Orlândia was established on 25 November 1909 and inaugurated on 30 March 1910, Vila Orlando being renamed Orlândia.

The symbols of Orlândia are listed, without further description in Article 4 of the Municipal Constitution as "the coat of arms, the municipal flag, the anthem of Orlândia and other symbols established by Municipal Law." - Municipal Constitution

The flag of Orlândia is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 867, adopted for the celebration of the 64th anniversary of the town. The flag is horizontally divided blue-red. In the middle of the flag is placed the white, simplified contour map of São Paulo State, charged in the middle with the municipal coat of arms.

The blue stripe recalls the beauty of the landscapes and the mildness of the climate. The red stripe represents courage, struggle and generosity. - Municipal website

Photo of the flag: - Municipal website

The coat of arms of Orlândia is " Per fess, 1. Gules an eagle holding a torch in his beak all or, 2. Gules an anvil argent ensigned with a rising sun or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or. The shield supported by two branches of coffee fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll argent inscribed with 'ORLâNDIA / SâO PAULO' in letters sable", placed above a helmet or."

The shield is of Portuguese style, traditionally used in Brazil. The meaning of the colors of the field is the same as for the flag. The mural crown stands for municipal emancipation. The eagle holding a torch is a symbol of knowledge, intelligence, progress, culture, fervour, as well as bravery, ideal and faith. The anvil is a symbol of work, industry, workshops and professions. The burning fire stands for the humanization of work and of the transcendent value of human force. All together, the symbols represent ideal and faith fecundating work. The branches of coffee recall the first source of income of the town and the first element of its progress, and, by extension, the work and power of the local agriculture. The steel helmet evokes the 1932 Constitutionalist Revolution (aka Paulista War). - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 19 December 2012