This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Monções, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-02-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | monções |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Monções, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 10 December 2012
Based on:

See also:

Description of the Flag

A yellow-white-green vertical tricolour flag bearing the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 10 December 2012

The municipality of Monções (2,132 inhabitants in 2010; 10,420 h) is located 530 km of São Paulo.

Monções was settled in 1885 by Vicente Gonçalves dos Santos. He settled in the basin of a main tributary of the St. Barbara River, which he named Ponte Nova River, to recall its birth town, Ponte Nova (Minas Gerais). The modern town of Monções emerged on 10 August 1935 with the erection of a cross, around which the village of Paraúna developed. The district of Paraúna was established by Decree-Law No. 15,383 of 27 December 1945 and inaugurated on 9 January 1946. The municipality of Monções was inaugurated on 21 March 1965.

The coat of arms of Monções, of the rounded-off or Iberic style used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, represents a tribute of the municipality to the main colonizers and builders of our country. Or is a symbol of richness, splendour, nobleness, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. In the upper part of the shield, on a white background, a fleur-de-lis azure and a cross argent [gules on the image] symbolize Our Lady of the Apparition, the town's patron saint, and the religious feelings of the inhabitants. On a white background is a legendary representation of the "monções", those old expeditions that sailed down river Tietê to explore the hinterland, including the one led by Captain Vicente Gonçalves dos Santos, the founder of Paraúna, today Monções. On the green base is an oxen's head, symbolizing cattle breeding, an important source of income for the municipality. The shield is supported dexter by a branch of coffee and sinister by a plant of maize the two proper, symbolizing the fertility of the soil and the main sources of income for the municipality. Below the shield, a red scroll is charged with the municipality's name and the tears "1945" and "1964", the years of establishment of the district and of the municipality, respectively.
Ivan Sache, 20 January 2013