This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Maracaí, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | maracaí |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Maracaí, SP (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 5 December 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

A deep yellow flag with a blue triangle extending about four-fifths of the length, with the municipal arms in it.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 5 December 2012

The municipality of Maracaí (13,344 inhabitants in 2010; 53,302 ha) is located 475 km of São Paulo. Maracaí probably means "Rattles' River" or "Maracas' River". A local tradition says that this name alludes from the impact of river Capivari on stones located in its bed.

Maracaí was founded on 4 May 1905 by José Gonçalves de Mendonça and Joaquim Gonçalves de Oliveira at the confluence or rivers Capivara and Cervo. The settlement was originally named Patrocínio das Pitangueiras* and formed a district of the municipality of Monte Alegre, established on 11 September 1919 by Law No. 1,650 and inaugurated on 17 January 1920. The municipality of Maracaí was established on 19 December 1924 and inaugurated on 24 March 1925.

The flag of Maracaí is yellow with a blue triangle placed along the hoist and charged with the municipal coat of arms.

Photos of the flag:

[The photos confirm the quite dark shades of blue and yellow.]

The coat of arms of Maracaí is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 729 of 6 March 1979. "Spanish shield, or a chevron azure charged with three bezants of the first, in chief two fleurs-de-lis of the second, in base a Brazilian cherry* vert fructed gules. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of soybean and sinister by a sugar cane, in base wheat spikes, all fructed proper. Below the shield a scroll azure inscribed with the place name in letters or." - Municipal website

*The Brazilian / Suriname / Cayenne cherry (Eugenia uniflora L.) is a tree in the family Myrtaceae, known in Brazil as "pitangueira"; the fruit itself is known as "pitanga".
Ivan Sache, 10 December 2012