Last modified: 2012-12-29 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | laranjal paulista |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger and Ivan
Sache, 30 November, 1 December 2012
Based on: http://www.laranjalpaulista.sp.gov.br/?area=57&submenu=43
A blue-white-blue triband, with the municipal arms on the white stripe.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 30 November 2012
Laranjal Paulista was founded in 1884 by Delfino de Melo, who built a hotel to house the workers of the Sorocabana Railways building site. The municipality of Laranjal was established on 10 October 1917 by State Law No. 1,555. The municipality was renamed Laranjal Paulista in 1944 by Federal Decree No. 14,334.
The flag of Laranjal Paulista is prescribed by Law No. 1,130 of 28 September 1971. The flag is in proportions 2:3, vertically divided blue-white-blue (28:34:28), with the municipal coat of arms in the white stripe, 3 units from the vertical edges of the stripe and equidistant from the upper and lower edges of the flag. The official size of the flag is 1.30 m x 1.95 m.
The Day of the Flag of Laranjal Paulista is prescribed by Law No.
2,578 of 14 June 2007.
On the Flag Day - 5 February - all the municipal buildings shall hoist
the municipal flag.
The Law further recognizes Pr. João José da Silveira Campos as the
designer of the municipal flag.
Photos of the flag: http://laranjalpaulista.sp.gov.br/index.php?id=1299&area=61
The coat of arms of Laranjal Paulista, also designed by Pr. João José da Silveira Campos, is prescribed by Law No. 301 of 23 December 1959. The coat of arms is "Per pale, 1. Vert a Mercury's winged staff ensigned by a cross all or and superimposed an oak leave and a quill crossed per saltire of the same and charged with two fleurs-de-lis argent, 2. Azure three chimneys or burning gules smoking argent. The shield surmounted by a mural crown argent embattled or. The shield supported dexter by a branch of coffee fructed proper and a plant of cotton proper. Below the shield a scroll or inscribed with the motto 'SERVIENDO PATRIAE REX' in letters sable."
The mural crown represents a town ("cidade"). Green and yellow recall the national flag, while red and black recall the São Paulo State flag. Blue and white are the town's colours. The fields vert (green) and azure (blue) represent the coordinated effort of the two big families, native and immigrant. The charge in the green field is a tribute to democracy, to the constitutive powers, to commerce, intellectual activity, arts and sports. The Mercury or Hermes' caduceus, homonym to our Mayor [of the time] is a tribute of the inhabitants to the Mayor and the Municipal Councillors. The oak (in Portuguese, "carvalho") leaf perpetuates the wisdom of the current direction of our State, as a tribute of the public and private organizations to or rulers [Carlos Alberto Alves de Carvalho Pinto was State Governor in 1959-1963]. The winged staff recall the classical races and is a tribute to the sportsmen, who have "a sound mind in a healthy body" [translation from Juvenal - Satire X, 10.356 - "mens sana in corpore sano"]. The cross surmounting the staff [part missing in the original], the quill is a tribute to the intellectuals who have promoted teaching and education, such as the patrons of the educational institute, of the gymnasium, and of the São Vicente de Paulo College. The fleur-de-lis immortalizes the artists and artworks of the town. The fleur-de-lis was borrowed form the capitals of the parish church, as a tribute to the local religious and military authorities. The three chimneys symbolize chimneys of industry, brickyards and ships. Industry is a main contributor to the growth of the municipality. Brickyards symbolize the accelerated pace of construction. Ships are a tribute to those who crossed the Ocean to colonize our land. The chimneys are outlined in gules (red), recalling that Laranjal Paulista is part of the Nation's Leader State. The smoke raising in the sky represents the fame of the local activities. The branches of coffee and cotton represent the conjugated forces of the inhabitants. They form wreathes placed on the forehead of the farmers. Moreover, the crossed branches recall the cross of St. John the Baptist, our patron saint, as does the motto meaning 'To Serve the Fatherland and the King".
http://www.laranjalpaulista.sp.gov.br/?area=57&submenu=42 - Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 1 December 2012