Last modified: 2013-04-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | iaras |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 8 April 2013
Iaras was founded in 1910 by Pinheiro Machado on land purchased in
1900 by the Brazilian government from the landlord Ernesto Dias. The
new town, originally named Monções, was planned in 1911 by the
engineer Carlos Poma. The district of Monção was established by Law
No. 1,855 of 30 December 1921, as part of the municipality of Águas de
Santa Bárbara, and renamed Iaras by State Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30
The municipality of Iaras was established by State Law No. 6,645 of 9
January 1990 and inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
http://cassoni.wordpress.com/iaras - Adilson Alves Casoni's website
The flag of Iaras is yellow with a blue, off-centered cross. Over the intersection of the cross' arms is placed a white disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The main attribute of the coat of arms is a mermaid, which makes the
arms canting. According to Luís da Câmara Cascudo's "Dicionário do
Folclore Brasileiro" (2000), "iaras", from Tupi "yara", " lady", is a
word use in Brazil to designate a mermaid. Monteiro Lobato ("O Saci",
2003) described a "iara" as "a nymph of astonishing beauty, resting on
a green rock, combing her long, sea-coloured hair with a golden comb
[...] surrounding by a ring of hundreds of fireflies forming a living
crown". The "iaras" are sometimes described as brunettes, mixed-
blooded or native women, more in accordance with the local morphotypes.
The cognate word 'uiara" is used as a common name of the Amazon river dolphin (Inia geoffrensis Blainville).
http://pt.fantasia.wikia.com/wiki/Iaras - Fantastipedia