This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

General Salgado, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-22 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | general salgado |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

General Salgado, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 2 April 2013

See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of General Salgado (10,669 inhabitants in 2010; 49,330 ha) is located 550 km of São Paulo.

General Salgado was founded by the pioneer Antonino José de Carvalho, aka Tonico Barão, owner of the Limoeiro Estate, located in the municipality of Monte Aprazível. He called the village Palmira, the name of his beloved daughter. Palmira was incorporated into the district of Sebastianópolis, established by Law No. 2,301 of 5 December 1928. The seat of the district was transferred to Palmira, which was renamed General Salgado, by Decree No. 2,841 of 7 January 1937. The municipality of General Salgado was established by Decree-Law No. 14,334 of 30 November 1944 and inaugurated on 1 January 1945.

The municipality is named for General Julio Marcondes Salgado. See for a detailed biography of Salgado. - "Instituição Soler de Ensino" website

In 1990, Clésio Felício, then 13 years old, found a fossil tooth in General Salgado. Further excavations by paleontologists of the Rio de Janeiro Federal University yielded 11 well-preserved skeletons of crocodilomorphic dinosaurs; one of the fossils even contained the stomach stones swallowed by the animal to help digestion. The skeletons were assigned to a new species named Baurusuchus salgadoensis. The animal, of 3 m in length and 400 kg in weight, was a fierce predator, hunting in bands. The excavated animals appeared to have died from dehydration during a long drought period. - FAPERJ website

The flag and arms of General Salgado, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 938 of 23 October 1978.

The flag is red with a yellow triangle pointing form the hoist to the fly itself charged by a red triangle itself charged by a white triangle with the municipal coat of arms. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The width of the yellow triangle is 16.5 units, the width of the red triangle is 10.5 units and the width of the white triangle is 9 units. The height of the coat of arms is 5.5 units. The superimposed triangles form spear heads, indicating the aspiration to a better future.

The coat of arms is "An Iberian shield, gules a sword cantonned with four fleurs-de-lis all or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or ports gules. The shield supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a plant of rice the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'COMBATI O BOM COMBATE' in letters or".

The Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, evokes the first colonizers and builders of the nation. Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, valour, fierceness, intrepidity, honour, nobleness and blood shed in fighting. The sword, one of the attributes of Apostle St. Paul, recalls the sword raised by São Paulo during the Paulista War in 1932, and that General Julio Marcondes Salgado offered his life to defend the Constitution. The fleur-de-lis is a symbol of the Blessed Virgin, the municipality's patron saint. .Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, glory, nobleness, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation; the open ports are a symbol of hospitality. Gules is the colour of Law and Justice, meaning that General Salgado is the seat of a "comarca" and recalling the dictum "Justice is Found Through These Ports". The plants of maize and rice highlight the fertility of the generous soil, being two crops contributing to the income of the municipality. The Portuguese motto - "I have fought the good fight" - comes from the Second Epistle of Paul to Timothy (2Timothy 4:7). It recalls the struggle of General Julio Marcondes Salgado for the preservation of Law against tyranny. - "Instituição Soler de Ensino" website.

 Ivan Sache, 2 April 2013