Last modified: 2013-05-15 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | garça |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 1 April 2013
The municipality of Garça (43,124 inhabitants in 2010; 55,577 ha) is located in central western São Paulo State, 40 km of Marília and 415 km of São Paulo. The municipality is made of the town of Garça proper and of the district of Jafa (2,753 inh.).
Garça (lit., Heron) is named for River Garça, discovered in July 1916
by the expedition led by Labieno da Costa Machado and subsequently
named for the great number of herons that lived there. The village
founded in 1920 grew quickly in spite of the distance (40 km) from the
nearest towns, Campos Novos and Presidente Alves; in 1922, it counted
several ranches, a sawmill and a chapel dedicated to Nossa Senhora das
Vitórias. The first street of the town was inaugurated on 4 October
In 1926, the coffee grower Carlos Ferrar founded on the right bank of
river Peixe the town of Ferrarópolis. This started a harsh competition
with the older town of Labienópolis, located across the river. Newer
colonists established their own towns: Barrópolis was founded by
Antônio Carvalho de Barros, while Larópolis was founded by Lara
Campos. Ferrarópolis belonged to the municipality of Cafelândia, while
the other towns belonged to Campos Novos.
The municipality of Garça was inaugurated on 5 May 1929.
Garça was in the 20th century a major center of coffee production in
Brazil. "Garcafé" ("Cooperativa dos Cafeicultores da Região de Garça")
ranked among the biggest coffee cooperatives in the country.
http://www.prefgarca.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Garça are prescribed in Article 7 of the Municipal
Constitution, adopted on 5 April 1990, as "the coat of arms, the
anthem and the flag established by Law".
http://www.cmgarca.sp.gov.br/index2.php? - Municipal Constitution
The flag is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The coat of arms are canting, a heron ("garça") being portrayed in the first quarter.