This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Elias Fausto, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | elias fausto |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Elias Fausto, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 29 March 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Elias Fausto (15,796 inhabitants in 2010; 20,147 ha) is located in central São Paulo State, 50 km of Piracicaba and 110 km of São Paulo.

Elias Fausto originates in the establishment in 1875 of the railway station of Monte Mor by "Estrada de Ferro Ituana". Nearby developed a village founded by the Almeida Leite and Leite de Oliveira families;. The "true" founder and first namesake of the village is José Rodrigues Cardeal, who opened a shop in 1890 . Cardeal was eventually renamed Elias Fausto in 1899, as a tribute to Dr. Elias Fausto Pacheco Jordão (1849-1901), a railway engineer and general inspector of "Estrada de Ferro Ituana", the company owned by this family. Elias Fausto was also one of the founders of the Partido Republicano Paulista. - Municipal website

The flag of Elias Fausto is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.

Photo of the flag 

The coat of arms of Elias Fausto is "A Portuguese shield, per fess, 1. Azure an eagle displayed argent over three fesses gules argent and sable, 2a. Or two palm trees proper, 2b. Vert a locomotive and a wagon sable, grafted in base sable. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or masoned sable. The shield supported dexter by two branches of cotton and sinister by three sugarcanes proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the motto 'DEO JUVANTE' in letters or".

The Portuguese shield, traditionally used in Brazil, recalls the Lusitanian tradition. Green, yellow and blue are the official colour of Brazil and of its flag. Black, white and red are the official colours of the São Paulo State flag. The eagle is a symbol of power and authority. The palm trees recall the early name of the place, São José das Palmeiras. The locomotive recalls the contribution of the railway to the progress of the municipality and is a tribute to the railway engineer Dr. Elias Fausto Pacheco Jordão. The mount in base recalls the short-lived name of Monte Mor, given to the municipality in 1875. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation. The branches of cotton and the sugarcanes represent the traditional crops of the municipality. The Latin motto reads "With God's Help"*. - Municipal website

*As, probably, a mere coincidence, "Deo Juvante" is also the motto of the Grimaldi family and of the Principality of Monaco.

Ivan Sache, 29 March 2013