Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | coronel macedo |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Coronel Macedo was founded by Antonio Batista Veiga, Pedro Américo da
Veiga, Francisco Garcia and Calixto Clemente de Almeida, originating
from Minas Gerais. The village was named Nossa Senhora do Rio Verde, a
name subsequently changed to Nossa Senhora da Conceição Aparecida. The
first mass was celebrated by Friar Pacífico de Monte Falco. The
district of Coronel Macedo was established by Law No. 1,239 of 23
December 1910 as part of the municipality of Itaporanga.
The municipality of Coronel Macedo was established by State Law No.
8,050 of 31 December 1963 and inaugurated on 27 March 1965.
http://www.coronelmacedo.sp.gov.br - Municipal website
The symbols of Coronel Macedo are prescribed in Article 4 of the
Municipal Constitution, adopted on 3 April 1990, as "the flag, the
coat of arms and the anthem".
http://www.camaracoronelmacedo.sp.gov.br/leiorganica.pdf - Municipal Constitution
The flag and arms, designed by Lauro Ribeiro Escobar, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 7 of 17 September 1977.
The flag is red with a yellow triangle placed along the hoist, itself charged with a white triangle and the municipal coat of arms. The dimensions of the flag are 14 units x 20 units. The width of the yellow triangle is 17 units, while the width of the white triangle is 13 units. The height of the coat of arms is 6.5 units. The superimposed triangles form an arrow head, symbolizing the dynamism of the inhabitants and their aspiration to prosperity and glory.
The coat of arms is "An Iberian shield gules two swords crossed per saltire ensigned with a fleur-de-lis all or a base serrated of four of the same a cross patty gules. The shield surmounted by an eight- towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a plant of maize and sinister by a branch of bean the two leaved and fructed proper. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed with the municipality's name in letters or".
The Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of
Brazil, evokes the first colonizers and builders of the nation.
Gules (red) is a symbol of audacity, valour, fierceness, nobleness,
valiance, intrepidity, triumph, honour and blood shed in fighting,
alluding to the battle that opposed the Constitutionalists to the
dictatorship during the Paulista War (1932).
The swords are symbols of war and justice, recalling that the people
of Coronel Macedo raised the sword in 1932 to defend the Law in a
legitimate war against tyranny.
The fleur-de-lis is a symbol of the Blessed Virgin, the town's patron
saint, and recalls the previous names of the place, Nossa Senhora do
Rio Verde and Nossa Senhora da Conceição Aparecida.
The serration represents Serrinha do Vergueiro, which forms the border
of the municipality and includes its higher point.
Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, generosity, nobleness, glory,
power, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule.
The cross patty evokes the erection of a cross, and, subsequently, of
a chapel, which was the founding event of the town. It also highlights
the deep Christian faith of the people.
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation; the open ports
are a symbol of hospitality.
The plant of maize and the branch of bean highlight the fertility of
the generous soil of the municipality, being important crops.
http://www.camaracoronelmacedo.sp.gov.br/municipio.php - Website of the Municipal Council
Photos of the flag
Ivan Sache, 27 March 2013