This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cajobi, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | cajobi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Cajobi, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 22 March 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Cajobi (9,768 inhabitants in 2010; 17,690 ha) is located in northern São Paulo State, 430 km of São Paulo.

Cajobi was founded on 13 May 1901, when colonists erected a cross on the territory of the old Bebedouro do Turvo Estate and established the village of Monte Verde (Green Mount). The official founder of the town is Mizael Anacleto de Souza, originating from Nascimento, Minas Gerais, who died on 13 September 1907. The district of Cajobi - a word meaning "Green Mount" in Tupi-Guarani - was established by State Law No. 1,404 of 23 December 1913, as part of the municipality of Olímpia. The municipality of Cajobi was established by State Law No. 2,189 of 30 December 1926. - Municipal website

The flag of Cajobi is blue with a yellow-green-yellow (1:2:1) saltire. In the middle of the flag is placed a yellow disk charged with the municipal coat of arms.


The coat of arms of Cajobi is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 517 of 2 August 1973, as "A rounded-off shield, or a mound vert issuant from the base a chief azure a fleur-de-lis surrounded by two Latin crosses all of the first. The shield surmounted by an eight-towered mural crown argent ports sable. The shield supported dexter by a branch of orange tree and sinister by a branch of coffee the two proper. Beneath the shield a scroll or inscribed with the municipality's name surrounded by the years '1901' and '1926' all vert".

The rounded-off, or Iberian shield, used in Portugal at the time of discovery of Brazil, is a tribute to the first colonizers and builders of the nation. Or is a symbol of wealth, splendour, glory, nobleness, power, force, faith, prosperity, sovereignty and rule. The green mount makes the arms canting, evoking the early name of the municipality, Monte Verde (Green Mount), the municipality's current name being its translation in Tupi-Guarani. The mound is a symbol of greatness, knowledge, nobleness and firmness. Vert is a symbol of hope, courtesy, civility, liberty, joy, friendship and abundance, representing the fertility of the generous soil of Cajobi and the aspiration of its people to a better future. Azure is a symbol of justice, beauty, sweetness, nobleness, recreation, vigilance, serenity, constancy, incorruptible firmness, dignity, zeal and loyalty. The fleur-de-lis is the symbol of the Blessed Virgin, the town's patron saint. The two crosses represent the deep Christian faith of the people and evoke two historical events linked to the foundation of the village on 13 May 1901: the first rosary set up by the founders and the erection of a cross. The mural crown is a symbol of municipal emancipation; the open ports are a symbol of hospitality. The branches of orange tree and of coffee highlight the fertility of the soil and the agricultural resources of Cajobi, being its main crops. The years "1901" and "1926" are those of the foundation and of the municipal emancipation of the town, respectively. - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 22 March 2013