This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brodowski, São Paulo State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2013-04-06 by ian macdonald
Keywords: sao paulo | brodowski |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Brodowski, SP (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 21 March 2013
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Brodowski (21,105 inhabitants in 2010; 27,980 ha) is located in northeastern São Paulo State, 340 km of São Paulo.

Brodowski originates in the establishment of a railway line by the "Cia. Mogiana de Estradas de Ferro", incorporated in 1872 and presided by Antonio Queiroz Telles, Count of Parnaíba. After the inauguration of the station of Batatais on 3 October 1886, in the presence of Emperor Peter II and Empress Theresa Christina, Colonel Lucio Enéas de Melo Fagundes and other local landlords offered land to set up another station between Visconde de Parnaíba and Batatais. The railway company commissioned his Inspector General and best engineer, the Pole Alexandre Brodowski, to build the station, which was inaugurated on 5 September 1894. The company named the station Engenheiro Brodowski and a new town developed nearby, once a district of Batatais. The municipality of Brodowski was established by Law No. 1,381 of 22 August 1913. - Municipal website

Brodowski is the proud birth town of the artist Cândido Portinari (1903-1962), considered as the worldwide most renowned Brazilian painter. Portinari became famous for his murals; in 1939, he designed two big panels for the Brazilian pavilion at the New York International Exhibition, while the New York MOMA purchased his work "O Morro". Two years later, he designed four big murals for the Hispanic Foundation of the Library of the Congress at Washington. Back to Brazil, he painted in 1943 eight panels forming the "Biblical Series", strongly inspired by Picasso's Guernica and the Second World War. Portinari organized his first exhibition in Europe in Paris in 1946 and was awarded the Legion d'Honneur by the French government. Portinari's biggest paintings, the "Guerra e Paz" (War and Peace) panels (10 m x 14 m) were offered in 1956 by the Brazilian government to the new seat of the United Nations. Portinari was the sole Brazilian artist invited to the exhibition celebrating the 50th anniversary of the birth of modern art, organized in 1958 in Brussels. The artist died in 1962, intoxicated by dyeing products, when preparing an exhibition of some 200 of his works upon invitation by the town of Milan. - "Museu Casa de Portinari" website - "Guerra e Paz", "Projecto Portinari" website

The flag of Brodowski is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The locomotive and the painter's palette must be a tribute to Alexandre Brodowski and Candido Portinari, respectively.

Ivan Sache, 21 March 2013