Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | papanduva |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 16 July 2012
The municipality of Papanduva (18,013 inhabitants in 2010; 75,983 h) is
located 350 km north-west of Florianópolis.
Papanduva was established in the middle of the 18th century as a camp for tropeiros conveying cattle from Rio Grande do Sul to the Sorocaba fair in São Paulo. Rich in signal grass, the place was named for Tupi-Guarani words "papuã", "signalgrass", and "duva", "many".
The first permanent settlement was established in 1828 by colonists from Paraná. Colonization was organized in 1880.
The municipality of Papanduva was established by State Law No. 133 promulgated on 30 December 1953, separating from Canoinhas, and inaugurated on 11 April 1954.
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021
The flag and arms of Papanduva are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 365
promulgated on 16 April 1973.
The municipal flag of Papanduva, designed by the heraldist Arcinóe Antônio Peixoto de Faria, shall be quartered by a cross in quarters in turn green and red, formed by four white stripes superimposed with black stripes arranged to by two in the horizontal and vertical dimensions, starting from the angles of a central lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms.
§1. In compliance with the tradition of Portuguese heraldry, of which Brazil inherited the norms and rules, the municipal flags have to be divided in eight, six, four or three parts, using the same colors as in the coat of arms and featuring in the center or at hoist a geometric figure inscribing the municipal coat of arms.
§2. The municipal flag of Papanduva is compliant with this general rule, being quartered by a cross recalling people's Christian spirit. The coat of arms featured on the flag represents the municipal government while the white lozenge inscribing it represents the town proper, as the seat of the municipality.
White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious spirit. The white stripes charged with black stripes starting from the angles of the central lozenge charged with the coat of arms, represent the municipal power spreading over all the quarters of the territory.
Black is a symbol of prudence, knowledge, moderation, austerity, firmness. The quarters, in turn red and green, represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory.
Red is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. Green is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, abundance and glee; it is also the symbol of hope, which is green since greening fields in spring promise profuse harvests.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag, 14 units in width on 20 units in length.
The coat of arms of Papanduva, designed by heraldist Arcinoe Peixoto de Farias, is described in proper language as follows: Samnite shield surmounted by six-towered mural crown argent. On a field argent, in chief a maize cob proper surrounded by two wheat garbs proper in base a chevron sable over a field tent gules. The shield superimposed to a red mantling outlined argent inscribed with years "1880" dexter and "1954" sinister. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed "Papanduva" in letters argent.
The coat of arms shall have the following symbolic interpretation
a) The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Papanduva was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal by French influence; inherited by Brazilian heraldry, it evokes the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
b) The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains' cots of arms; argent (silver) with six towers, only four of them visible in perspective view, classifies a town of third rank or municipal seat.
c) Argent (silver) is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious spirit.
d) In chief, the representations of maize and wheat emphasize two main sources of income for the municipality
e) In base, the chevron sable (black) is the symbol of cavalry and the field tent gules (red) recalls the tropeiros' camp at the origin of the settlement.
f) Sable (black) is a symbol of austerity, prudence, knowledge, moderation, and firmness, while gules (red) is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
g) The mantling represents glory and obtained victory, charged with "1880", the onset of colonization, and "1954", the date of political and administrative emancipation.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 5 November 2021