Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | joinville |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021
The municipality of Joinville (597,658 inhabitants in 2020, therefore Santa
Catarina's most populated municipality; 112,611 ha) is located 200 km north of
Florianópolis. The municipality is composed of the districts of Joinville (set)
Joinville, nicknamed the Princes' Town, is named for François d'Orléans (1818-1900), Prince de Joinville, the third son of Louis-Philippe (1773-1850), King of the French from 1830 to 1848. In 1843, the Prince de Joinville married Francisca of Braganza (1824-1898), Imperial Princess of Brazil. The princely couple immediately moved to France, where they stayed until the deposition of Louis-Philippe.
Exiled in Claremont (England), the royal family had all its French goods and possessions confiscated by the newly proclaimed republic. The princely couple sold in 1849 the Brazilian land that has been offered to Francisca as her dowry to Sociedade Colonizadora Hamburguesa, owned by Senator Christian Mathias Schroeder. The first German, Swiss and Norwegian colonists settled Dona Francisca colony on 9 March 1851, transported by the ship "Colon".
The district of Joinville was established within the municipality of São Francisco by Provincial Law No. 452 promulgated on 8 April 1858, to be elevated a municipality by Provincial Law No. 566 promulgated on 15 March 1886.
The principality of Joinville, established in 1551 by Henri II for François, Duke de Guise, was transferred in 1688 by Marie, last Duchess de Guise, to her niece, Anne-Marie-Louise d'Orléans, Duchess de Montpensier, aka la Grande Mademoiselle. The title of Prince de Joinville was subsequently used by the Dukes of Orléans and went extinct with the death of François d'Orléans.
The capital of the principality of Joinville was the town of Joinville (3,037 inhabitants in 2018), located in Champagne.
In 1830, Laurent-Nicolas Pinson, mayor of the town of La Branche du Pont de Saint-Maur, adjacent to Paris (east) obtained from Louis-Philippe the change of the not really fascinating town's name to Joinville-le-Pont, as an interested tribute to the prince de Joinville. Now a big town (19,516 inhabitants in 2918), Joinville-le-Pont signed a cooperation charter with the Brazilian town of Joinville in 2001.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021
A blue flag with the municipal shield centred in a white lozenge.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 June 2012
The flag of Joinville was originally prescribed by Municipal Law No. 617
promulgated on 14 June 1963.
The flag of Joinville, using the legal dimensions, shall be: On a blue field, a white lozenge in the center charged in the center with the coat of arms in proper colors.
Leis Municipais database
The Law was abrogated by Municipal Law No. 5,739 promulgated on 9 April 2007, which did change anything in the description of the flag.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Joinville was originally prescribed by Municipal Law No. 453 promulgated on 27 April 1929.
Portuguese rounded shield surmounted by a mural crown. The shield divided into four quarters superimposed in the center by an escutcheon. The first quarter features the "quinas" of Portugal and the Bourbon fleur-de-lis, recalling the marriage of Princess Francisca of Braganza with the Prince de Joinville, which is the origin of the name of Joinville assigned to the early Dona Francisca colony.
The second quarter features elements from the coat of arms of the French town of Joinville, capital of the principality that gave the name of Joinville.
The third quarter features the Norwegian lion and the Helvetic cross.
The fourth quarter features the Prussian eagle and the Oldenburg cross, recalling, as the third quarter, the origins of the early colonists.
The escutcheon features the Southern Cross, the Brazilian national symbol, to recall that all elements from various nations merged with those from Brazil.
The shield is "supported" by sugarcanes and rice plants, representing the municipality's main crops. The scroll beneath the shield is inscribed with the "motto" "Nea Autem Brasiliae Magnitudo" ("Brazil's Greatness Shall Be Mine Too"); in the center of the motto, a cogwheel symbolizes industry.
The mural crown features a central gate surmounted by an escutcheon referring to the town's patron saint, St. Francis Xavier, charged with a book superimposed by a parchment roll recalling the apostle's evangelism acts. The whole is surmounted by the Roman small letter "I", recalling "Vai!" (Go!), the order given by St. Ignatius of Loyola to St. Francis Xavier to serve in the eastern missions.
The shield's first quarter is blue with five silver bezants argent, from the royal arms of Portugal ancient and Braganza, and a golden fleur-de-lis, from the royal arms of France ancient and the house of Orléans. The second quarter is blue with three golden hempbrakes, from the arms of the French town of Joinville. The third [indeed, fourth] quarter is silver with a black eagle with golden beak, feathers, scepter and crown, from Prussia, and the red cross from Oldenburg. The fourth [indeed third] quarter is red with a white cross from Switzerland and a golden lion holding a white axe, from Norway.
The central escutcheon is blue with golden stars. The scroll is red with silver letters.
The escutcheon of the mural crown surmounting the shield is red with a white open book charged by a parchment roll, also white. On top, a small letter, also argent.
The shield lateral "supporters" are sugarcanes and rice plants proper. The cog heel is proper. The mural crown is golden.
These arms were offered to the municipality of Joinville by Afonso d'Escragnolle Taunay (1876-1958). Known as "the São Paulo historian" for his numerous contributions, the monumental "História geral das bandeiras paulistas" (11 volumes, 1924-1950) and "História do café no Brasil" (15 volumes, 1939-1943), Afonso de Taunay was born in Nostra Senhora de Desterro (today, Florianópolis) from Viscount de Taunay (1843-1899), then President of the Santa Catarina province. He designed the arms of several municipalities in São Paulo, Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and Bania, and of four Santa Catarina municipalities: Blumenau, Joinville, Laguna and São Francisco do Sul.
The new Constitution promulgated on 10 November 1937 in the aftermath of the 1930 Revolution abolished the coat of arms of the Brazilian states and municipalities. The next Constituion, promulgated in September 1946 re-established them. Several towns re-adopted their original arms, as did Joinville by Municipal Law No. 71 promulgated on 16 August 1948.
The coats of arms designed by Afonso de Taunay were far from being compliant with norms of heraldry. In articles published in 1931 and 1932 in the Journal de Commércio (Rio de Janeiro), the historian admitted that he really enjoyed designing arms but that his heraldic knowledge was extremely limited and that he would not care increasing it. His designs often include too many quarters and escutcheons arbitrarily arranged, break the tincture rule and use inappropriate outer ornaments. The blazons use inappropriate or erroneous heraldic terms, mix heraldic description and symbolic meaning; it was also pointed out that the description of family arms is sometimes incomplete or fanciful.
Accordingly, the coat of arms of Joinville was "corrected" by Municipal Law No. 1,173 promulgated on 22 December 1971. Unfortunately, the "correction" was made by people relying on flawed "heraldic principles", which resulted in an abstruse description of the arms and arbitrarily changes of the shield and tower's shape, as well as of some charges. Finally, the new design did not correct Afonso de Taunay's errors but added new ones.
Edison Mueller. 1986. Afonso de Tunay e a heráldica municipal catarinense. ÁGORA: Arquivologia Em Debate, 2(3), 22–26
Edison Mueller. 1986. Afonso de Tunay e a heráldica municipal catarinense. Conclusão do numéro anterior. ÁGORA: Arquivologia Em Debate, 2(4), 10-23
E. Mueller does not specify the "corrections" made to the original design. Neither does he name the authors, who must have been the heraldic "encyclopedists" who designed or corrected several municipal coat of arms in the 1960s-1970s, pushing their own, flawed, interpretation of the "rules of heraldry".
The first quarter was substituted by the arms of the imperial house of Orléans-Braganza.
The second quarter was substituted by the arms of the house of Orléans, "Azure three fleurs-de-lis or a label argent".
In the fourth quartern an escutcheon "Quarterly argent and sable" was added to the chest of the Prussian eagle.
The quite far-fetched connection with the French town of Joinville was therefore suppressed. The town's original arms are "Azure three hempbrakes argent a chief argent a lion issuant gules". "Azure three hempbrakes or" were the arms of the early house of Joinville.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021