Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | jaborá |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021
The municipality of Jaborá (3,955 inhabitants in 2018; 19,112 ha) is located
460 km west of Florianópolis.
Jaborá was settled between 1916 and 1919 by colonists of Italian origin coming from Rio Grande do Sul. Colonization was managed in the 1920s by the Firmas Colonizadoras no Meio-Oeste Catarinense (Colonizing Companies of Santa Catarina Midwest), who pushed people to acquire plots in a region rich in Brazilian pines.
The early settlement was successively named Rio Bonito, Lajeado Bonito, Sede dos Poyer, and, in 1923, São Roque for the chapel dedicated to St. Rocco erected that year. Germano Poyer established in 1920 a sawmill powered by the river, which he subsequently moved to a more suitable place and powered with a steam engine. Engineer Lauro Rupp was commissioned in 1922 to design plots and organize urban planning of the settlement.
The district of Jaborá was established by Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 December 1943 and inaugurated in January 1944. The municipality of Jaborá was established by State Law No. 915 promulgated on 11 September 1963, separating from Joaçaba.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021
Horizontally divided blue-white-red, ratio 1-2-1, with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 25 June 2012
The flag and arms of Jaborá are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 171
promulgated on 28 November 1972 (text not available).
Municipal Law No. 299 promulgated on 2 April 1979 amended Article 19 of the original Law as follows:
The coat of arms of Jaborá, designed by Irmãos Kempa and improved by Pr. Arcinoé Antônio Peixoto de Faria, is described as follows.
Leis Municipais database
The flag of Jaborá, designed by Irmãos Kempa Ltda, is quartered by four white stripes superimposed with red stripes, placed two by two in bend and bend sinister and starting from a central white circle charged with the municipal coat of arms.
On the flag, the coat of arms represents the municipal government while the white circle that inscribes it represents the town proper as the seat of the municipality. The stripes symbolize the spread of the municipal power all over the municipal territory; the quarters represent the rural estates present in the municipality.
In compliance with heraldic rules, the municipal flag shall have the official dimensions prescribed for the national flag.
The coat of arms of Jaborá, designed by Irmãos Kempa Ltda, is described in the following heraldic worlds: "Samnite shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent. Field argent. Supported by two wheat plants proper crossed beneath the shield and surrounded dexter by a maize plant proper with developed cobs and sinister by a plant of soybean proper. Beneath the shield a convex scroll gules inscribed argent the toponym "Jaborá" and years "1943" and "1963". In the center of the shield argent a circumference representing a cogwheel inscribing a bovine's head and a pig's head, a plant of yerba mate and a Brazilian pine, symbolizing the municipality's resources, animal breeding and extraction industry. In the shield's upper part, the Southern Cross, highlighting the origin of the municipality of Jaborá, which was separated from Joaçaba, then known as Cruzeiro do Sul.
The coat of arms has the following symbolic description.
The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Jaborá was the first style of shield introduced to Portugal by French influence; it was inherited by Brazilian heraldry to evoke the colonizing race and the main builder of the nation.
The mural crown that surmounts it is the universal symbol of domain's coats of arms; argent (silver) with six towers, it classified a town of third rank and municipal seat.
Argent (silver) is the heraldic symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity and purity.
The wheat, maize and soybean plants indicate a mostly rural municipality, which was founded by farmers coming from Rio Grande do Sul attracted by soil fertility. The Brazilian pine and yerba mate indicate the main sources of local income.
Gules is a symbol of patriotic love, dedication, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The toponym is surrounded by the years of foundation ("1943") and political emancipation ("1963").
The cogwheel is a symbol of industry, one of the main sources of income for the municipality.
For whatever reason, the prescribed circle inscribing the coat of arms is indeed a rectangle on the flags in actual use.
Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021