Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | ibirama |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
17 June 2012
The municipality of Ibirama (18,271 inhabitants in 2017; 24,671 ha) is
located 220 km of Florianópolis.
The municipality is composed of the districts of Ibirama (seat) and Dalbérgia.
Ibirama was established in 1897 by Sociedade Colonizadora Hanseática, from Hamburg, on plots conceded by the government of Santa Catarina. The director, A.W. Sellin, and engineer Emílio Odebrecht selected a site to found the colony of Hansa-Harmônia. The first settlers, Willy Luderwald and his wife, arrived in June 1899, were joined at the end of the year by the Engelhardt, Kitzenger, Ochmanne and Wagner families.
The district of Harmônia was established, as part of Blumenau, by Municipal Law No. 60 promulgated on 2 March 1912. The municipality of Dalbérgia was established by State Decree No. 498 promulgated on 17 February 1934 an inaugurated on 2 March 1934. Renamed to Harmônia by State Decree No. 1 promulgated on 7 May 1935, the municipality was eventually renamed to Ibarama, for Tupi-Guarani words meaning "land of plenty". by State Decree-Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 December 1943.
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2021
A vertical tricolour, red-white-green, with the municipal arms in the centre.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 17 June 2012
The flag of Ibirama is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 547 promulgated on 21
The flag has for official dimensions 1.35 m on 1.15 m, being divided in three fields of 0.54 m x 1.15 m each, red, white and green.
Green symbolizes the national flag while red symbolizes the state flag. The central white field is charged with the municipal coat of arms.
The coat of arms of Ibirama is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 517 promulgated on 16 November 1967. It was designed by Mayor Carlos Pabst and photographer Martin Schmölz.
The shield id divided into four quarters, surmounted by a masoned crown symbolizing administrative unity and municipal security. The upper left part features the arms of the Brazilian Federative Republic. The upper right part features the arms of the Sociedade Colonizadora Hanseática, the German imperial eagle representing Germanic colonization [the quarter also features Hamburg's castle and Bremen's key]. In the lower left part, the bow and arrow symbolize native people who lived in the region, joint with a colonist plowing the soil. The lower right part features a map with rivers, Brazilian pines and palm trees, recalling the territory's geography and forests.
The shield is surrounded by tobacco and wheat plants, in base by an axe and an industrial cogwheel, representing the local sources of income.
In the shield's center, date "8 novembro 1897" recalls the beginning of the municipality's colonization. Beneath the shield, the scroll is inscribed with the Latin motto "Amor glebae et labor vincunt", reading "Love for the soil and work shall triumph".
Ivan Sache, 3 November 2021