Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | vera cruz |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020
The municipality of Vera Cruz (24,389 inhabitants in 2012; 30,962 ha) is
located 180 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Vera Cruz was settled on 11 October 1854 by four families, as Fraxinal de Dona Josefa. Vila Tereza was founded on 29 August 1865.
The district of Vila Tereza was established by Provincial Law No. 1,814 promulgated on 28 June 1889 and Municipal Act No. 10 issued on 3 February 1896. The district was renamed to Tereza by State Decree No. 7,199 issued on 31 March 1938.
The municipality of Vera Cruz was established by State Law No. 3,697 promulgated on 30 January 1959 and inaugurated on 7 June 1959.
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020
The municipal flag, quartered by cross, recalls the people's Christian
spirit. The coat of arms featured on the flag represents the municipal
government. The white lozenge charged with the municipal coat of arms represents
the town proper as the seat of the municipality.
White is the heraldic symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
The white stripes superimposed with black stripes starting from the angles of the central lozenge and quartering the flag, represent the spread of the municipal power all over the municipal territory.
Black is a symbol of prudence, knowledge, moderation, austerity and firmness.
The red quarters represent the rural properties scattered on the municipal territories.
Red is a symbol of fertility, dedication and patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance.
The coat of arms of Vera Cruz is "a Samnite shield surmounted by a four-towered mural crown argent ports sable. Argent a Cross of Christ gules filled argent cantoned by a cogwheel, a winged helmet, a plow and books all vert fimbriated sable.
The shield surrounded by dried tobacco leaves. Beneath the shield a scroll gules inscribed white with the toponym "Vera Cruz" and numbers "30-1" and "1959".
The Samnite shield used to represent the arms of Vera Cruz, was the first style of shield introduced in Portugal, from French influence, and inherited by Brazilian heraldry to evoke the colonizers and main builders of the country.
The mural crown surmounting the shield is the universal symbol of domains. Argent (silver) with six towers, four visible in perspective, it classifies a town of third rank, seat of a municipality.
Argent is the heraldic symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling.
The Cross of Christ gules (red) filled argent (silver) reproduces the first symbol hoisted in Brazil, recalling the first name given to the newly discovered land, recalled in the municipality's name - Vera Cruz - the Cross of Truth.
Ivan Sache, 8 August 2020