This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Santana do Livramento, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

Last modified: 2020-08-08 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | santana do livramento |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



Santana do Livramento, RS (Brazil) image by Dirk Schönberger, 25 March 2012
Source: http://www.sdolivramento.com.br/new/index.php?pagina=band.htm


See also:

Municipality

The municipality of Santana de Livramento (77,027 inhabitants in 2019; 694,140 ha, therefore the second largest municipality in the state by its area) is located on the border with Uruguay, 500 km west of Porto Alegre, forming a single urban unit with the Uruguayan town of Rivera.

Santana de Livramento, known as the Frontier of Peace, was established in 1810 during the events that led to the independence of the former Spanish colonies. The troubled situation prompted Brazil to organize an army in Rio Grande do Sul; the Pacifying Army was sent from Bagé to watch the border, commanded by Diogo de Souza, 1st Count of Rio Pardo. The army was divided into parts that established their camp near river Ibirapuită. The chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Deliverance ("Livramento") was erected on 30 July 1823, which is considered as the official date of foundation of the town.

http://www.sdolivramento.com.br/
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020


Symbols

A white off-centred cross, bordered red, on a green field, with the municipal arms on a white disk on the cross.
Dirk Schönberger, 25 March 2012

The flag of Sant'Ana de Livramento obey the general rules, being "quartered by a cross", which symbolizes the people's Christian spirit.
The coat of arms applied in the flag's center represents the municipal government. The white circle inscribing it represents the town proper, as the municipality's seal; it is the heraldic symbol of eternity as a geometric figure without either beginning or end; white is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, prosperity, purity and religious feeling. The white stripes charged with red stripes quartering the flag represent the spread of municipal power all over the territory. Red is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance, while the quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Green is a symbol of glee, abundance, honor and courtesy; green also symbolizes hope as greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.

http://www.sdolivramento.com.br/prefeitura/cidade/

Ivan Sache, 4 August 2020