Last modified: 2020-07-13 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio grande do sul | brochier |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020
The municipality of Brochier (4,975 inhabitants in 2016; 10,950 ha) is
located 50 km north-west of Porto Alegre.
Brochier is named for the brothers Jean Honoré and Auguste Brochier, who came from Marseilles (France) in 1832, expecting to settle in São João de Montenegro. However, their expected place of settlement had been acquired by third parts, which prompted them to clear a plot in the forest, 25 km of the present-day's town of Montenegro.
São João de Brochierr was elevated on 5 May 1873 to the 2nd district of Montenegro. On 20 December 1987, 2,908 out of the 3,291 registered citizens (91%) voted for municipal emancipation, which was obtained by State Law No. 8,556 promulgated on 11 April 1988, establishing the municipality of Brochier do Maratá. The municipality was renamed to Brochier after the municipal emancipation of Maratá on 20 March 1992.
Brochier is the state capital of charcoal, thanks to the cultivation of black wattle.
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020
A rising north-south diagonal tricolour, blue-red-green, with the municipal arms centred in a white disk.
Official website is at
Dirk Schönberger, 8 January 2012
The flag and arms of Brochier are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 264
promulgated on 13 December 1993.
The flag of Brochier shall have as for official colors blue, red and white. In the center of the red stripe is placed the municipal coat of arms, whose colors represent:
I. Red: bravery, courage and intrepidity of the colonists who cleared the forests;
II. Blue : the beauty of the sky that covers the municipality;
III. Green: aspiration to a better fraternity among people and preservation of natural resources;
IV. White: message of faith and peace of the community.
The flag shall have the following characteristics:
The dimensions are 14 units on 20 units.
The red diagonal stripe begins two units from the hoist's lower end and ends in the upper part 10 units from the hoist; these dimensions hold for the blue and green stripes, swapping the sides (upper and lower), establishing a red stripe of 8 units in width.
The coat of arms shall have the following shape and description:
French shield divided into four parts; in center, the seat of the municipality, represented by a triangle gules (red) symbolizing bravery, courage, intrepidity, audacity and patriotic dedication of the colonists who cleared the forests; the triangle charged with a bovine symbol (cow) recalling milk production; upper dexter, left to the center, a lyre argent (gray) representing the cultural and recreational activities highlighted by several choirs; upper sinister, right to the center, on a background azure (blue) representing the limpid sky, an horizon of greater justice and nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty, the symbol of Education, one of the priorities of the government; dexter to sinister in the lower part, a river that crosses the municipality and values the greening fields vert (green), a color symbol of hope, honor, civility, courtesy and glee of people aspiring to abundant harvests.
Stylized wattles, trees that represent a source of income for the municipality through the chemical transformation of their hulls in tannin, required to tan leather used to manufacture shoes. In the lower outer part of the shield, dexter and sinister, a representation of agriculture through maize and apples. The shield surmounted by a mural crown with three openings representing the three powers, Executive, Legislative and Judiciary. Beneath the shield a scroll gules (red) inscribed "11-04 Brochier 1988", "Brochier" being a tribute to the two brothers from Marseilles (France) who initiated the colonization of the area in 1832, and "11-04-1988" being the date of political emancipation of the municipality.
The flag appears to be used also with a broader central stripe and the coat of arms placed on a disc.
image by Ivan Sache,
Ivan Sache, 12 July 2020