Last modified: 2020-07-25 by ian macdonald
Keywords: brazil | rio grande do sul | itaqui | lozenge | cross | cross (double barred) | anchor | swords |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Blas Delgado Ortiz
ns1.itaqui.com.br/itaqui/historico.html, the name of Itaqui means in the Guarani Indian language
a smooth rock from the water, one that is good for sharpening things. That seems to be the symbolism of the
crossed sabers in the coat of arms and of the water in the base. In addition, the town grew up around a
Jesuit mission called Rincão da Cruz, accounting for the cross in the coat of arms.
Joseph McMillan, 17 March 2002
The municipality of Itaqui (39,049 inhabitants in 2016; 34,040 ha) is located
680 km north-west of Porto Alegre, on the border with Argentina, here river
The municipality was established by State Law No. 419 promulgated on 6 December 1858, separating from São Borja.
The Prezewodowski Theater, built in 1883, and named for Estanislau Prezewodowski (1864-1870), the captain who commanded the Alto Uruguai War Flotilla, is among the oldest theaters in South America.
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020
The flag and arms to Itaqui, which were designed by the heraldist Arcinôe
Antonio Peixoto de Faria, are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 984 promulgated on
25 November 1958.
In compliance with the Portuguese heraldic traditions, and their inherited canons and rules, the flag is quartered by a cross symbolizing the people's spirit and Christian origin. The coat of arms applied on the flag represents the municipal government while the white lozenge represents the town as the municipal seat. White is a symbol of peace, friendship, work, property, purity and religious feeling. The white stripes charged with red stripes quartering the flag represent the spread of municipal power all over the territory. Red is a symbol of dedication, patriotic love, audacity, intrepidity, courage and valiance. The green quarters represent the rural estates scattered over the municipal territory. Vert is a symbol of honor, civility, courtesy, glee, and abundance; green is also the symbol of hope, as the greening fields in spring promising profuse harvests.
The coat of arms keeps the essential elements of the former coat of arms, which was prescribed by Municipal Law No. 324 promulgated on 25 November 1958.
A Samnite shield surmounted by a six-towered mural crown argent ports gules. Vert an Episcopal Cross of Lorraine or surrounded by swords argent crossed per saltire. A base argent wavy vert superimposed by an anchor gules fouled argent. The shield surrounded dexter and sinister by soybean and rice plants proper crossed in base and superimposed by a scroll gules containing in letters argent the toponym "ITAQUI" surrounded by the years "1837" and "1858". Hanging from the shield's point a hunting horn or."
Ivan Sache, 19 July 2020