Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | telêmaco borba |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Telêmaco Borba (80,588 inhabitants in 2021; 138,286 ha) is
located 250 km north-west of Curitiba.
Telêmaco Borba was established in Fazenda Monte Alegre established by Coronel José Félix da Silva. After his death, In 1926, his nephew's grandson established a colonizing company named Companhia Agrícola e Florestal e Estrada-de-Ferro Monte Alegre, aimed at exploit the local resources and building a railway connecting Monte Alegre to the São Paulo-Rio Grande do Sul railway; some 5,000 German families were expected to exploit the local mines and vegetation. The company was supported by European and American shareholders, and opened 4,000 accounts at the Paraná State Bank. Unfortunately, the costs of preliminary studies and wages paid to technicians were soon higher than the initial capital. The company went into bankruptcy in 1932. The state of Paraná offered the land to the Klabin family, involved in paper and cellulose business. The purchase was completed in 1941 and the factory was inaugurated in 1947.
At the time, Monte Alegre was inhabited by 200 descendants of early colonist Pedro Ferreira Prestes, aka Pedro Lagoa. The development of a big industrial center in a remote region of Paraná was strongly supported by President Getúlio Vargas, as part of his policy of national self-subsistence. A "mini-town" dedicated to industry was built from scratch, with communautary buildings such as dwellings, shops, a school, an hospital and recreational areas, where entrance was strictly regulated. The factory's residential borough, named Harmonia, Caiubi and Operária, were designed by chief-engineer Luiz Veiria.
The new, ideal town attracted several people from all over Brazil; population increased from 4,104 in 1946 to more than 12,000 in 1950. In 1952, Horácio Klabin offered several plots for sale on the other side of river Tibagi to establish a new urban nucleus independent from the factory, called Cidade Nova (New Town). The wooden huts originally built close to the factory were transferred to Cidade Nova.
The municipality of Cidade Nova was established by State Law No. 4,245 promulgated on 25 July 1960; passed in a hurry, the Law established 59 new municipalities, mostly as a convenient means to maintain local political domination+. In the aftermath of the election of a new governor, the State Assembly suppressed the municipality of Cidade Nova by Law No. 26 promulgated on 31 December 1960.
The municipality of Telêmaco Borba was eventually established, merging Monte Alegre and Cidade Nova, by State Law No. 5,738 promulgated on 5 June 1963, separating from Tibagi. The name of the new municipality, honoring Colonel Telêmaco Augusto Enéias Morosini Borba, stirred up controversy since it had been pushed by Guataçara Borba Carneiro, President of the State Assembly... and nephew of the colonel. Other proposed names were Pinholândia, Pinheiral, Wolfflândia and Klabinópolis.
Telêmaco Borba (1840-1918), was appointed in 1865 to director of Aldeamento de São Pedro de Alcântara, opposite the Military Colony of Jataí, North Paraná. As a sertanista, he lived with the natives, learned their language, customs, experience, in short. He would later write the book A"tualidade Indígena", of great repercussion among ethnologists. He founded the Indian's Museum in Tibagi and corresponded with the greatest indigenous authorities in the world. From 1882 he entered politics. He was alternately elected mayor of Tibagi and deputy. He became a Liberal Party politician and participated in all civic campaigns at the time. When Governor Generoso Marques, his co-religionist, was deposed, he faced the troops formed in a historic protest.
In 1894, during the Federalist Revolution, his participation became intense alongside the insurgents, as commander of the border with the State of São Paulo, in Itararé. When the revolution failed, he forced himself to go into exile, commanding a column of soldiers and civilians alongside Juca Tigre, in the retreat through western Paraná. In Montevideo and Buenos Aires, he became part of the cultural milieu, visiting museums and libraries, in addition to maintaining exchanges with local scientists on the theme of forestry. After an amnesty was decreed by President Prudente de Moraes, he returned to Brazil and resumed political activities. He was re-elected state deputy for the União Republicana Paranaense and regained municipal power as mayor, being nicknamed "Mayor for life and chronic deputy". As a sertanista, he served as a guide, decades before, to several expeditions, with a view to the hydrographic survey of the main rivers of the state. He rediscovered the Salto de Sete Quedas, a feat reported in a daily chronicle by Nestor Borba, published in a book. He died in Tibagi, victim of the Spanish flu.
Academia Paranaense de Letras
The flag and arms of Telêmaco Borba are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 574 promulgated on 23 December 1981.
The coat of arms of the town and municipality/county of Telêmaco Borba is described as follows.
A rounded-off Portuguese shield, bendy or outlined argent five stylized pines proper in bend cantonned by an escutcheon argent three Paraná pines (Araucaria angustifolia or brasiliensis) proper in bend the center tallest supported in base by a cogwheel section or, the whole on a red field; dexter, on a blue field, a cornucopia argent facing the base spilling nuggets or. The shield surmounted by a mural crown or masoned in black and supported dexter by a corn (Zea mays) stalk fructed proper sinister by a soybean (Glycine sativa) plant the two proper tied by a ribbon in the national colors. Beneath the shield a red scroll bearing toponym "Telêmaco Borba" surrounded by inscriptions or "5 de Julho" "de 1963" in modern Latin characters.
The municipal flag of Telêmaco Borba is made up of a rectangle measuring 14 units in width on 20 units in length, vertically divided in three equal stripes, the dexter one red and the sinister one blue, and the central one white charged with the coat of arms.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2022