Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | tamarana |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Tamarana (12,647 inhabitants in 2012; 47,216 ha) is located
340 km north-west of Curitiba.
Tamarana was established in 1915 by Olímpio Moraes who started pig breeding in the region. The town was founded in 1919 as Patrimônio de São Roque. The district of São Roque was established, as part of the municipality of Tibagi, by Decree Law No. 2,713 promulgated on 20 March 1930, and transferred on 6 January 1939 to the newly established municipality of Londrina.
The municipality of Tamarana was established by State Law No. 11,224 promulgated on 13 December 1995.
Tamarana is named for a local legend portraying a princess who wielded a tamarana, a club-shaped weapon, of 1 m in length, made of wood.
Tamarana is the region of the Kaingangues Indians who still inhabit their lands in the Apucaraninha Indigenous Reserve. The word "tamarana" is a feminine noun of Tupi origin, which is a weapon, made of wood, in the shape of a club, about one meter long (Dicionário Antonio Houaiss, 2007). Its origin dates back to the legend of an indigenous warrior princess who wielded it.
The beginning of the village dates back to 1915 when the pioneer Olímpio Moraes settled there and made possible the later installation of seasonal workers, The city was born as a Heritage of São Roque in 1919. The village of São Roque on March 20, 1930, through Decree Law n.º 2,713, became the Judicial District of São Roque, which belonged to the municipality of Tibagi. On January 6, 1939, through a Government Decree, the Judiciary District of São Roque was dismembered from Tibagi and annexed to the newly created municipality of Londrina.
On December 13, 1995, through State Law No. 11,224, Tamarana was separated from Londrina. With strong appeal from the residents, being one of the last municipalities in the state, it was emancipated.
The flag of Tamarana is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 44 promulgated on 22 October 1997.
The municipal flag shall have as basis for design the division into equal squares, numbered number from 1 to 18 horizontally, and from A to N vertically.
The municipal flag is heraldically described as follows.
The flag shall be golden yellow on the left side and royal blue on the right side, divided vertically by the line that separated squares 9 and 10 in the horizontal dimension.
On the left side, the flag shall feature twelve blue smaller stars, arranged in two parallel rows of six stars each, vertically, one square away from the left, top and bottom sides and 4 squares from the flag's border, on the right side of the yellow background.
The smaller stars shall be two squares horizontally and one vertically apart, occupying squares 2B, 2D, 2F, 2H, 2J, 2M, 5B, 5D, 5F, 5H, 5J and 5M.
The flag shall have a larger white star, also five-pointed, covering squares 13I,J,L to 15I,J,L, whose center will be square 14J.
In the center of squares 13G, 14G and 15G is written "1999", with number "1" occupying the right quarter of square 13G, number "99" occupying the central quarter of square 14G, and number "5" occupying the left quarter of square 15G.
Leis Municipais database
The flag is used, at least, in two versions:
- star and "1995" in yellow, "1995" beneath the star
image by Ivan Sache, 9 February 2022
- star and "1995' un white, the star beneath "1995".
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2022