Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | rio bonito do iguaçu |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Rio Bonito de Iguaçu (13,255 inhabitants in 2020; 68,141 ha)
is located 400 km west of Curitiba.
Rio Bonito do Iguaçu was part of the short-lived Iguaçu Federal Territory (1943-1946), whose capital was Laranjeiras do Sul. The district of Rio Bonito de Iguaçu was established by Law No. 19 promulgated on 30 November 1953. The Council for the Community Development of Rio Bonito, established in 1986, campaigned for municipal emancipation, which was granted by State Law No. 9,222 promulgated on 3 April 1990. The municipality was inaugurated on 1 January 1993.
The flag and arms of Rio Bonito do Iguaçu are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 376 promulgated on 11 June 2002.
The flag of the municipality presents the characteristics, as described and symbolized in Appendix II of this Law.
The coat of arms is in Portuguese classic format. Its Portuguese origin dates back to the struggles between the Portuguese and the Moors. The shield's style was inherited from domains' heraldry as evocative of the colonizing race and main builder of the nation.
The mural crown that surmounts the coat of arms is composed of eight towers, only five of them visible with five red (gules) windows. The yellow (gold) crown is the universal domains' symbol, which classifies a town of 3rd rank, that is, the seat of a municipality. The red openings symbolizes heraldic law and is consistent with the attributes of pioneers, pathfinders and community leaders.
The coat of arms has its field divided into seven quarters.
1. The first, upper left quarter features beautiful green forests, a road and the beginning of reforestation, as the Municipality is the "Symbol of Ecology" among Paraná's municipalities. The green color (vert) symbolizes civility, victory, abundance and hope.
2. The upper right quarter features a map of Paraná, a terrestrial globe, a book, a dyer and a pen, symbolizing the education and culture of Rio Bonito do Iguaçu's people.
3. At the top of the shield, an escutcheon features a statue of St. Anthony, patron saint of the municipality.
4. Below the upper quarters are two sinuous lines, which symbolize rivers Iguaçu, Bonito, Xagú, Tamanduá, Das Cobras, Crim, Branco, Barra Mansa and Leão, all of which irrigate the rich lands of the municipal territory.
5. The lower left part features a colonist on a tractor preparing the soil for cultivation, symbolizing agriculture, as the municipality is extremely rural.
6. The lower right side quarter features an ox and a pig's head, symbolizing the livestock existing in the municipality.
7. At the very bottom, an irregular triangle features a handshake symbolizing the union of people that inhabit the territory of Rio Bonito do Iguaçu.
8. The shield is supported on the left by a maize stalk and a bean stalk and right by a tobacco plant, and on the right by a soybean plant and a wheat plant below a yerba mate branch, all in bright colors, symbolizing the main agricultural products of the municipality (basis of its economy).
9. Right below the shield, supported by the scroll, is the Salto Santiago hydroelectric power plant, one of the energy supplying forces for the state and the municipality.
10. The red (gules) scroll is inscribed with the toponym "Rio Bonito do Iguaçu" surrounded on its left by the inscription "19-03-1992", day, month and year of creation of the municipality, and on its right by the inscription "01-01 -1993", day, month and year of its inauguration.
1. The colors of the flag are green, white, blue, yellow, brown and black.
2. The flag has two outer green stripes and one inner white stripe, all with the same dimension, the green stripes symbolizing the vast area of preservation of rainforest and the white one symbolizing peace.
3. In the center is a sphere formed by four triangles.
4. The first, left triangle features a maize and a bean plant, which symbolize the municipality's crops and main spruce of income.
5. The right triangle features a tree that symbolizes the existing forests in the municipality.
6. The upper triangle bears the name of the municipality, "Rio Bonito do Iguaçu", on yellow that symbolizes the sun, and five yellow stars, four of which are small, symbolizing the four administrative districts of the Municipality - Campo do Bugre, Linha Rosa, Pinhalzinho and Ireno Alves dos Santos - , and the largest one symbolizing the seat of the municipality.
7. The lower triangle symbolizes the waters of river Alagado and the Salto Santiago Plant, a great source of electricity for the state and the municipality.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 7 February 2022