Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | bom jesus do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bom Jesus do Sul (3,796 inhabitants in 2010; 17,397 ha)
is located on the border with Argentina, 550 km south-west of Curitiba.
Bom Jesus do Sul was first settled in early 1914 by Fermino Leal. Originally known was Fermino, the place was renamed to Passo do Germino after other families had joined in 1919. In 1928, several families, mostly coming from Rio Grande do Sul, joined the settlement, which was renamed to Lajeado Fermino.
Missionaries brought in 1936 a statue of Jesus, for which the place was renamed to São Bom Jesus. The district of Bom Jesus do Barracão was established by Municipal Law No. 13 promulgated in 1955. The municipality of Bom Jesus do Sul was established on 21 December 1995, separating from Barracão.
The flag of Bom Jesus do Sul is blue with a broad diagonal stripe running from lower hoist to upper fly, composed in the center of a white lozenge inscribing the municipal arms, green in the lower hoist part and yellow in the upper fly part.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022