Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | bituruna |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Bituruna (16,627 inhabitants in 2017; 121;491 ha) is
located 350 km south-west of Curitiba. The municipality is composed of the
districts of Bituruna (seat) and Santo Antônio do Iratim.
Bituruna was first mentioned in the 17th century when Sergeant of the Sea Farias mentioned Bituruna (in Tupi, "a black hill") hill in the record of his expedition. In 1814, an expedition led by Atanagildo Pinto Martins and guided by cacique Jon Jong crossed the Ibiturunas fields, subsequently renamed to Palmas fields as a tribute to the Count of Palmas, Governor of São Paulo.
Modern colonization of Bituruna was initiated in 1924 when Empresa Colonizadora Santa Bárbara Ltda, seated in União da Vitória, acquired from Antônio Fernandes dos Santos 40,000 alqueiras from Fazenda Santa Bárbara and another 15,000 alqueiras from Fazenda Santo Antônio do Iratim. Plots of 10 alqueiras each were sold to immigrants, mostly Italians coming from Rio Grande do Sul. The first plot was acquired on 23 December 1924, considered as the date of foundation of the municipality, by Miguel Leonartovitz. One year later, the Santa Bárbara colony had 31 dwellings, a church, three stores, a sawmill, a grain mill, a forge etc. On 4 December 1926, 45 households lived in the colony.
The district of Santa Bárbara was established on 4 December 1928 within Palmas, to be transferred on 20 October 1938 to União da Vitória. State Decree-Law No. 199 promulgated on 30 December 1943 reincorporated the district to Palmas under the name of Bituruna. The municipality of Bituruna was established by State Law No. 253 promulgated on 26 November 1954 and inaugurated on 14 December 1955.
The flag of Bituruna is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 14 promulgated on 14 December 1970.
The flag of the municipality shall have the following features and colors: a green stripe, representing plant resources, a central yellow stripe, representing mineral resources, and a wine-colored stripe, representing production of grapes and wine.
The municipal coat of arms is placed in the upper left part of both sides of the flag.
Leis Municipais database
The coat of arms of Bituruna is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 13 promulgated on 14 December 1970.
The coat of arms of the municipality shall have the following features and colors:
Above the shield, of white background, a medieval tower representing St. Barbara, the municipality's patron saint, a geometric shape in the center, green and yellow, charged with letter "N", a Brazilian pine representing timber industry, partially on top and on the right part, an Indian hut representing the municipality's original name, a maize plant, a wheat spike and a branch of yerba mate, representing the agricultural and extraction production in the municipality. In base of the geometric figure, two bunches of grapes representing production of grapes and wine. The scroll inscribed in letters argent "UNIÃO - TRABALHO - PROGRESSO" (Union - Labor - Progress) and dates "26.11.54" (creation of the municipality) and "14.12.55" (inauguration of the municipality).
Leis Municipais database
The two aforementioned Laws were abrogated by Municipal Law No. 516 promulgated on 11 September 1995, which offers a consolidated description of the symbols.
The flag of the municipality of Bituruna is rectangular, in proportions 14 units in width on 20 units in length, in compliance with Article 5 of Federal Law No. 5,700.
a) The flag is composed of three equal horizontal stripes, the upper green, the central yellow, and the lower wine color.
b) In the upper right canton (at hoist) is a white rectangle of 7 units in length on 6 units in width, charged with the coat of arms of the municipality.
c) The green stripe represent the plant resources: fields, forests, pastures. The yellow stripe represents mineral resources. The wine-colored stripe represents the municipality's main productions: grapes and wine.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Bituruna is composed of a shield of Portuguese type, in proportions 8 units in length on 9 units in width.
a) The shield is diagonally divided from the upper right angle to the left lower 8th unit. The upper, left part of the shield is green, while its lower, right part is yellow.
b) Starting diagonally from the shield's 4th unit in the upper center to the lower right 5th unit, a wine-colored "N", symbolizing national integration. In the center of the "N", a green Brazilian pine surrounded right by a green maize plant and left by a yellow wheat plant. The pine represents timber industry while maize and wheat are the municipality's main crops. In the upper part of the "N", an Indian hut evoking the native origin of the municipality's toponym.
c) The shield surmounted by a mural crown with three visible brown towers representing St. Barbara, the municipality's patron saint.
d) On both sides of the shield two bunches of purple grapes representing the production of grapes and wine.
e) Beneath the shield a white scroll inscribed in black "UNIÃO - TRABALHO - PROGRESSO" (Union - Labor - Progress) and dates "26.11.54" (creation of the municipality) and "14.12.55" (inauguration of the municipality).
White is pure light, symbolizing integrity, obedience, vigilance, peace and order.
Green denotes faith and symbolizes hope, liberty and the power of nature.
Yellow is the image of judgement maturity, symbolizing nobleness, magnitude and wealth.
Purple denotes force, victory, audacity, highness, symbolizing valor, boldness and intrepidity.
Black represents the domain of intelligence, symbolizing prudence, vigor and honesty.
Brown represents the land and the same virtues and qualities as black.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022