This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Anahy, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | anahy |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Anahy, PR (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022
See also:

About the Flag

The municipality of Anahy (2,801 inhabitants in 2019; 10,265 ha) is located 600 km west of Curitiba.

Anahy was established in 1959 by the Companhia Brasileira de Imigração e Colonização (Cobrimco), as Pingo de Ouro; the place was subsequently renamed for Anahy, the daughter of the company's manager.
Anahy was first settled in 1950 by Ricardo and Matilde Pfeffer, who planted coffee. They were joined in 1955 by Antonio Felisberto, Sebastião Miguel and Antonio Mazzocatto, who came from Minas Gerais and São Paulo.
Municipal website

The flag of Anahy is white with celestial blue and red horizontal stripes on top and bottom, respectively, and a vertical green stripe and triangle placed along the hoist. The municipal coat of arms is displayed in the center of the white panel.


The coat of arms is composed of a shield surmounted by a yellow, eight-towered mural crown, with only five towers visible in perspective view, with red gates.
The shield's upper left quarter features a forest area partially cleared and planted with crops, representing the initiation of colonization and the build up of the Anahy community.
The upper right quarter features a classroom with a map of the state of Paraná, a terrestrial globe, books, an inkpot and quill, representing education and culture.
The upper central part features an escutcheon portraying St. Ann, the patron saint of the municipality of Anahy.
The shield is divided horizontally in the center by blue wavy lines representing rivers Piquiri, Sapucaí, and dos Porcos, as well as many other brooks and streams that irrigate the municipality's fertile land.
The lower left quarter features cultivated fields with an oxen's head and a pig's head, representing the municipality's flourishing breeding.
The lower right quarter features a tractor and a farmer preparing the soil, representing agriculture. In Anahy, more than 70% of the cultivated area is mechanically processed, which makes of the town one of the region's main agricultural centers.
The lower central part features a [winged] helmet, symbolizing commerce.
The outer ornaments are maize, bean, coffee, soybean and wheat plants, all fructed proper, representing the municipality's main sources of income.
The red scroll is inscribed in the center with the toponym "ANAHY" surrounded left by "11.06.1990", the day, month and year of creation of the municipality, and right by "01.01.1993", the month, day and year of political and administrative emancipation of the municipality.
Municipal website

The local tradition reports that early colonist Antonio Mazzocatto fell in love with Ana, the daughter of his associate José Guerro. They never married but Antonio proposed to dedicate the parish to St. Ann to honor Ana.
Another early colonist, Ricardo Pfeffer, coined the name of river dos Porcos (Pigs' River); during the clearing of the area, he met near the river a group of wild pigs and killed two of them.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 31 January 2022