Last modified: 2012-03-17 by ian macdonald
Keywords: paraíba | diamante |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger,
27 March 2011
Divided by a severely reduced dark blue bend, red over white, with the municipal arms on the white field in the lower hoist.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 27 March 2011
The municipality of Diamante (6,616 inhabitants in 2010; 269 sq. km) is located in western Paraíba. Diamante was granted in 1752 to Manoel de Sousa Olival, who founded a settlement there. The municipality of Diamante was established by State Law no. 2,655 of 21 December 1961, seceding from Itaporanga.
The symbols of Diamante were designed in 1961 by the artist
Fernão Félix de Sá. On the flag, the red stripe represents the bloody
struggle for the conquest of the land and for independence. Blue is the color
of the local sky and white symbolizes peace. On the coat of arms, the
black and red outline of the shield alludes to "NEGO" on the State flag and
represents blood and struggle, as well. Yellow is the main color of the
field, representing the natural resources of the municipality. The lozenge
includes river Piancó and the symbol of cattle breeding. The plants of maize
on left and cotton on right represent agriculture. The green star between the
plants represents the district of Vazante. The sword in colors green, yellow,
blue and white represents the flag of Brazil art independence. The yellow
scroll tied to the sword is inscribed with the date of political emancipation
of the municipality, 30 December 1961.
Ivan Sache, 9 February 2012