Last modified: 2012-02-10 by ian macdonald
Keywords: jataí | goiás |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Dirk Schönberger, 22 April 2010
based on http://www.jatai.go.gov.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=195
An upright white cross on a light blue background, at the center a white diamond bearing the municipal arms.
Municipal web site is at
Dirk Schönberger, 22 April 2010
The municipality of Jataí (88,970 inhabitants in 2010; 7,124 sq. km) is
located in southeastern Goiás, 330 km of Goiânia. Jataí is the "Grain Capital
of Goiás", indeed the 1st producer of maize and sorghum in Brazil (1% of the
grain yield) and the 1st producer of soybean in Goiás.
Jataí developed around a chapel dedicated to the Holy Spirit of Jataí. The district of Paraíso de Jataí was created on 17 August 1864. The municipality of Paraíso, founded by Decree No. 668 of 28 July 1882, was renamed Jataí on 2 February 1885. The municipal seat was made a "cidade" by State Law No. 56 of 31 May 1895.
The cross on the flag recalls the religious faith of the inhabitants. The coat of arms in the middle of the flag represents the municipal government, while the lozenge represents the municipal seat. White symbolizes peace, work, prosperity, friendship and purity. The arms of the cross represent the municipal power all over the municipal territory. The quarters represent the rural estates. Blue is a symbol of justice, nobleness, perseverance, zeal and loyalty.
Ivan Sache, 23 January 2012